Pioneer/Halcyon compared to OMS system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcostanza once bubbled...
dmdalton,
I can appreciate you being skeptical of my post; however, I don't believe in "trolling." My personal belief is that it wastes everyones time and is not productive, it also destroys any future credibilty the individual may have as the individual will always been viewed with skepticism.

I will get the specific info later this evening as I didn't want to mis-quote the 'pros" I read regarding the OMS versus Halcyon bp/wings setup. In the interim... I do appreciate your input.

I take you at your word and will look forward to the specifics and be pleased to offer my opinion.

Pardon my earlier scepticism, I'm new to the board (but not to diving having been at it since '62). I've seen a lot of what appears to be baiting of the "DIR" crowd on this board. I don't engage in those battles but will be happy to offer my opinion for whatever benefit it may be to you and others.

Dive Safe,

Dave D

Good morning,
First and foremost I appreciate all the input I received from all of you regarding my initial (and somewhat vague) question regarding the comparision of the Halcyon-Pioneer setup to OMS.

After several discussions late last night with an east coast shop, I found out that what was framed as facts were mere conjecture and opinions. The one tangible that was discussed was, quote "...prefer dive rite as they have the best customer service in the industry." That is something that I suppose could be measured; however, I would see that as a matter of perspective.

All in all, I had originally planned on adding the Halcyon to my equipment inventory and that hasn't changed. The comments noted on this board regarding this issue just served to confirm that I was heading in the right direction.

dmdalton:
I'm pretty much a "straight shooter" and have also noticed what you referred to as "baiting of the DIR's". Maybe I'm naive, (generally speaking now) but I don't understand why the animosity towards DIR folks??? I found out about DIR via this board, researched it, had numerous conversations/ emails regarding this approach to development and signed up for my first (and not the last) DIR class, Fundamentals. The system is logical and it obviously works. Why wouldn't more divers, that are serious about refining their skills, grasp the methodology? I suppose that is a topic that would fill another thread. All I can say is, I can't wait until next weeks class.

Again, I thank all of you for your input and time on my question.
Best Regards
Don Costanza

dcostanza once bubbled...
but I don't understand why the animosity towards DIR folks

Don,

Some of the DIR followers believe that unless you are DIR you will die the next time you dive. That there is one way, and one way only that equipment can be used and configured, and you can only dive with them if you play by their rules. Works fine in George's private pool, but not much anywhere else.

As you say, the DIR philosophy is great, as is the equipment recommendations. It's the attitude that grates...

And no "baiting" is needed. They sniff out a contrary post as soon as they turn on their computers. Oh, which you can't use while diving BTW.

Phil

Don,

Thanks for the followup comments. Phil is certainly correct in his assesment of some members of the DIR mind set. While they may be bringing the DIR name to the attention of large numbers of folks it is not benefiting diving overall to be so often portrayed in such a negative light. I am not of the opinion that "any" publicity is "good" publicity.

Best wishes to you both and dive safe.

Dave D

Back
Top Bottom