Place to stay: long sandy beach + diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife likes long walks on the beach also,The El Cozumeleno has a nice sandy beach and you can walk both directions for a very long ways. It is north of town, we have stayed there several times and enjoyed our stay. There is a dive shop that uses large boats but I have not used them.

My wife likes long walks on the beach also,The El Cozumeleno has a nice sandy beach and you can walk both directions for a very long ways. It is north of town, we have stayed there several times and enjoyed our stay. There is a dive shop that uses large boats but I have not used them.

I saw messages several times saying that independent Dive Ops do not like working with northern part of the island. Can anyone comment on this please?

I saw messages several times saying that independent Dive Ops do not like working with northern part of the island. Can anyone comment on this please?

To my knowledge that is correct the dive shops I use do not pick up north, I just take a cab to town when we stay there, short cab ride, great diving, happy wife.... all is good with the world !

It's not so much that they don't like working with that part of the island, it's just that they don't pick up there. It probably costs too much in gas/time to make the trip north to then go and head south. If you set out the money, you might be able to get some ops to change their mind :) The question is just how much is it worth it to them.

But if you stay at a northern hotel, every op will be happy to have you meet them at the marina or a downtown pier. Wherever their normal pick ups happen.

Last edited:

Depends on where the dive is that day, but since 98% of the dives are south of you and the dive boats are all south of you, most don't want to go north only to go south. An exception to this would be Aldora's villa is north and they go north to their villa to pick up their divers, they might pick you up depending upon how north you end up. The other exception is if you do dive a northern advanced dive site with someone like Aldora, you're on the way that day. But as said, the rule is typically if you stay north you have to get yourself to and from the dock south of you that the dive operator uses, so you've heard right.

Occidental Grand or Occidental Allegro have very nice beachs, they are AI and 15 - 20 min to downtown

---------- Post added September 26th, 2014 at 04:58 PM ----------

And both Occidentals have a 5 star PADI Dive center, Prodive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom