Planning a trip to either Cozumel or Belize, which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buza831

Reaction score
# of dives
Going to Either Cozumel or Belize this summer. Has anyone gone to both? Which is better and would you please advise as to GOOD SAFE dive shops as I will be bringing my kids (certified but not experienced). Thanks!:D

Check out the Cozumel and Belize forums. Lots of great info. Only been to Coz with the newly certified kids. Had a blast.

The pic in my profile is me and the boys at about 50 ft on Chankanab (sp) reef at Coz.

Going to Either Cozumel or Belize this summer. Has anyone gone to both? Which is better and would you please advise as to GOOD SAFE dive shops as I will be bringing my kids (certified but not experienced). Thanks!:D

Both are great destinations. Cozumel is more challenging due to current but also much less expensive. If the kids are very comfortable in the water they would be fine there, otherwise I might choose Belize.

If the kids are young enough to have depth restrictions, I'd probably pick Belize. Good diving (although I think Cozumel's a bit better), but there's less push to go deep, and more to see and more ability to have a mixed depth group, since the finger and grove coral there is fairly deep, or at least at Ambergris Caye where I dove.

Belize is significantly better than Cozumel

Both are great destinations. Cozumel is more challenging due to current but also much less expensive. If the kids are very comfortable in the water they would be fine there, otherwise I might choose Belize.
Thanks. I know there is drift diving in Cozumel but are there places where the current isn't too strong and can you recommend a shop? My kids have less than 50 dives.

Thanks

If the kids are young enough to have depth restrictions, I'd probably pick Belize. Good diving (although I think Cozumel's a bit better), but there's less push to go deep, and more to see and more ability to have a mixed depth group, since the finger and grove coral there is fairly deep, or at least at Ambergris Caye where I dove.
How deep is deep? They have been to 85 ft and are comfortable in the water. but less than 50 dives. I just want a safe shop that doesn't leave people behind. Do you really prefer Cozumel?

Cozumel has plenty of shallow sites but most of the first of two dives on Coz are in the 60-90 ft range and it can be tough to find a shop that will cater to JUST you unless you go with a shop that uses the smaller boats for 4 or so people. Perhaps someone like Papa Hogs who has a lot of small boats. Diving in Coz isn't too challenging but that current can rip. That's the draw in Cozumel. Fantastic mountainous coral and ripping current equal the sensation of flying.

In Belize you find a wider variety of depth options similar to say The Keys. Of course the ride out to the sites is usually MUCH longer in Belize. Again, here you want to find a dive op that can cater to just your group.

Have you been to Bonaire yet?:wink: IMHO it is the perfect place to take a diving family with children who are still learning to dive. Shallow diving, no current, no surf really, lots of really easy places to shore dive, no time constraints because getting the family going takes time, dive when ya wanna etc...:eyebrow:

Thanks. I know there is drift diving in Cozumel but are there places where the current isn't too strong and can you recommend a shop? My kids have less than 50 dives.

Thanks

As I recall, the best reef now are in deeper water, so the shallower and more protected ones might not be as pretty since Wilma. Most of our dives were in deep water 80 to 90 ft plus, and were quite spectecular.

We did some shallow dives along the shores, and what once was beautiful shallow reefs were crumbled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom