Planning a trip to either Cozumel or Belize, which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of sea life, I found Cozumel much better than Belize. The operations are better, sites are closer, and, I believe, most of the sites are easier. Cozumel does have currents but they run a lot of drift dives. If you are comfortable with drifts, I would definitely choose Cozumel.

Definitely Coz. If you get with someone like PapaHoggs and their small fast boats the kids will probably like the ride out to the dive sites as much as the dives.

In Coz, I would recommend an operation with the small fast boats. Blue Angel and Blue Bubble come to mind. The small boats carry a max of 8 divers and typically go to a site based on majority choice. Depending on the size of your group and the day you dive, you could end up with a private charter.I stay away from the large cattle boats, just not my idea of fun diving anymore. Most of the shallow reefs were torn up by Wilma. Still, there are some nice ones in the 50 - 60 foot range.

How deep is deep? They have been to 85 ft and are comfortable in the water. but less than 50 dives. I just want a safe shop that doesn't leave people behind. Do you really prefer Cozumel?

As other have said, the first dive tends to be down in the 70-90 foot range in Cozumel. The dives there are almost all drift dives. Lots of people refer to the diving in Cozumel as "lazy man's diving," since basically you fall off the boat, do just enough swimming to keep the group together as the current pushes you along the reef, and head back to the surface when you're done and the boat that has been following along picks you up. Make sure you carry a safety sausage; even if you were left behind (unlikely, though certainly not impossible anywhere), there are generally enough dive boats around that one would see you and come over and make sure you were ok, and if needed, call your boat on the radio, especially if you had your sausage inflated. The current there varies from very weak to very strong depending on the day and the dive site, but since you aren't generally fighting the current but letting it push you, usually isn't a huge problem.

For Belize, I can only speak for Ambergris Caye, where I dove back in November. The coral there is mostly deeply-cut finger and groove structures. A number them are 40 or 50 feet tall, so people can find their own comfortable depth on the "wall." Most of the sites were 5-10 minutes away from San Pedro. Nurse sharks seemed to be everywhere; I suspect that some of the dive ops do a little chumming, so the nurse sharks hang out near the various dive sites. Generally little current.

In terms of comparisons, I do prefer Cozumel. I find the coral structures at the deeper sites in Cozumel to be more dramatic, and the shallower sites in Cozumel have more abundant life. Not that it's bad in Belize; I just think Cozumel is better. In terms of the towns, Cozumel is a cruise ship destination, with the good and bad that entails. It means more development, and more people, at least during the day. I would usually take a nap in the afternoon, and by the time I went out, most of the cruise ship passengers were gone or heading back to their ships. Cozumel has some great restaurants. San Pedro in Belize is smaller, much less developed, more of a developing-country feel to it. The restaurants I ate in were usually ok-good, but I didn't hit anyplace I'd call great.

I think either is a great location. If depth isn't an issue, I would probably pick Cozumel, although a good airfare would probably convince me to do Belize instead. :)

I prefer Belize to Cozumel, but I do not dive off of the Belize mainland. The diving off the atolls (Turneffe, Lighthouse, Half Moon) offers healthier, more diverse reefs, which is my principal criterion.

If you like short boat rides, crystal clear water, drift diving and cheap prices, Cozumel wins hands down! Diving conditions are not even comparable, at all. Belize is loooooong boat rides, the hugely overrated "Blue Hole", average diving conditions, and also pretty cheap. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give Cozumel about an 8 and Belize anywhere from 2-6, depending on what cay you stay on. Ambergize (sp) is one of the best but the diving is still not in the same league as Cozumel.

I have been to and like both. I like the tourist stuff outside of diving much better in Cozumel. The diving is great in both so I dont' think you would go wrong. In Cozumel I like Dive House. Friendly dive shop that caters to all. They really go out of their way to make you feel special.

Brent

How deep is deep? They have been to 85 ft and are comfortable in the water. but less than 50 dives. I just want a safe shop that doesn't leave people behind. Do you really prefer Cozumel?

According to PADI and SSI kids under 16 should observe a max depth of 40'. I think this has more to do with possible harm to growing tissue than with skill or comfort.

According to PADI ..... kids under 16 should observe a max depth of 40'

I thought it was 70' from 12-15, 40' below.

Belize is loooooong boat rides, the hugely overrated "Blue Hole", average diving conditions, and also pretty cheap. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give Cozumel about an 8 and Belize anywhere from 2-6

Depends where you are. I don't think 5 mins from AC is bad.

I've only done a few dives at Coz and Playa and I have to say I wasn't impressed. Our local diving here is much superior. I wanted to do afternoon dives from both Coz and Playa and found it almost impossible to get out, and then it was just going along with training dives. Here we dive all day.

I agree about the BH - much over-hyped. But still enjoyed by a lot of people.

I've never found viz anywhere I've dived in the Caribbean to come anywhere near that of the Red Sea, but I haven't noticed much difference between here and Mexico. It varies enormously with weather and wind conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom