Planning a trip to either Cozumel or Belize, which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of people knock Ambergris Caye. I can only assume they've not seen some of the wonderful dive sites there are here. If you're only offered a choice from a handful of sites all quite close to the town then you're NOT seeing the best there is here.

At the same time you recommend a particular dive operator yet disparage the dives that (I assume) you did. Perhaps that operator didn't show you the best sites.....

I've done a few dives from Cozumel and I have to say they were nowhere near as good as the ones I know here. Perhaps that was down to the Coz dive operator - I don't know.

I went with a dive operator in Coz called Dive Martin. We had 1 dive master and 1 capitan for the 2 of us (4 people total per boat) some dives and never more than 4 people in the water (6 people per boat). These cost $50 for 2 dives on their fast boats and they picked us up at the hotel dock 30 seconds from our room. I went there directly after being certified, did a wreck penetration dive, deep dive to 120ft, and other cool dives. The drift diving is great - don't even need to kick at all to see things.

I've done both and prefer COZ. I dove Turneffe and was not impressed. I could have just been having a "bad dive day". But I've been twice to cozumel and loved the drift diving! It's effortless and never went below 80ft. I was there before and after wilma. It's still beautiful.

My pick is COZ: better reefs, better food, and it's more lively than Belize. And, there are cruiseships both in Belize and Cozumel. The difference is that in Cozumel they dock at the ports and in Belize they anchor far out. So you see more of the passengers en masse in Cozumel. Whereas in Belize they are tendered out to different places from the ship. So you don't see them all in one location.

As far as the kids goes, I think they might have more fun in Cozumel...

OK, decided on Cozumel, thanks! Now where is there a good place to stay, dive friendly and not too expensive? Any thoughts???

Honestly, your best option is probably to go check out the Cozumel forum here on Scubaboard. It's pretty active, and variations of your question come up fairly often, so you may get some ideas from reading the previous threads, and if they don't answer your question, you can post there and get responses from Cozumel aficionados who may not follow this forum.

Some questions you may want to think about: Do you care about whether you're on a "cattleboat" with lots of divers or on a "6-pack" where it's your group and maybe a couple others? Do you want to be close to town with its restaurants and shops, or do you want to be more isolated and away from everything, possibly at an all-inclusive? Do you care about having a beach at your hotel?

I'm not sure you could find a place to stay on Cozumel that isn't dive friendly. The two big groups visiting the island are cruisers and scuba divers, and only we divers spend the night (intentionally, at least). :D

You'll have a great time in Cozumel, but I'd definitely recommend Belize at some point in your diving future too.

Peter certainly knows more about Ambergris Caye than I do, but I agree that I'd go back there in a second for the diving (and I have been to Cozumel too). There was one dive we did at Hol Chan on my last trip where we were saying that it looked like someone made a checklist of everything you'd want to see on a dive and put it there for us to see. Really really great dive---and that's certainly not the best diving in Ambergris Caye by any accounts. Aside from the diving, the food in AC is awesome, the people are friendly and have a really cool laid back attitude that I aspire to, and the live reggae music almost every night is fabulous.

Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel - Mexico

I love this place. It's been fully reno'd. It's gorgeous, lush, and has everything you need on site. Pool, beach, restaurant, kids play area, dive shop, dock, boat picks you up at the hotel dock. The rooms are amazing and there's even an outside shower attached to each room where you can shower off after the beach or diving. It's actually perfect to clean your equiptment and leave it out there to dry. They have dive packages. Check out the website. Our next trip to Coz is def there again!

Oh! and you can shore dive from the premises!!!

My husband and I have stayed at the Vista Del Mar a few times... right downtown, ocean-front rooms... VERY resonable, friendly and clean. That said... it is just a place to sleep & shower, relax, check out the show of touristas on the main drag. No pool, beach, nothing fancy, but good coffee, juice and rolls in the morning... and within walking distance of the town square and loads of great ( and reasonable----avoid the tourist traps!) restaurants... try Casa Denis (right off the square), Johnny's Casa Blanco ( a bit more $$), and La Choza-excellent everything!

We have also stayed at the Sand Dollar Resort ( I think it is a Wyhndam now)... dive op. on site, lots of boats, good DM's, and great diving. I think they have an all inclusive option.

In May we are going back, and after some heavy research... our other diving buddies have chosen to stay at the Villablanca hotel. Their daughter is coming along, she's 11 and certified... I think the hotel has a few more family friendly amenities than the Vista Del Mar.
We are planning on diving with Aqua Safari this time.... lots of boats, they do have a few of the "cattle boats", but last time we dove with them... the boat wasn't full, they will pick you up at your hotel dock, and again the diving was great. If your kids have depth limitations they do an afternoon shallow dive every day.

You will love Coz. The diving is fantastic, the people are friendly, it is safe, and other than the cruise ship onslaught (which disperses in the afternoon) San Miguel is a fun little city. There are also lots of fun top-side activities like the lighthouses, the beaches on the "wild side", and the crocodile santuary.
Have fun and if you have any other questions send me a pm.
KD

If you take the ferry to playa del and a block away is the bus station , Belize is about a 4 hour bus ride dive a day stay a night dive and bus back, catch a ferry back to cozumel.
Kinda make your own sight seeing and rest also. NO restrictions on flying or diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom