Planning Trip to Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I obtained the book, "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" 5th Edition. And I know its from 2008, but is it still the case that Hawaii (Big Island) still doesn't have a decompression chamber on the island? If so then does anyone have any clue as to how one would handle a DCS emergency on the island?

Other than in-water (not recommended) you would have to be transported to Oahu. Same for every outer Island. There is a mini-chamber on Maui that I heard a rummer was available to divers but I have only heard of divers being treated on Oahu.

With your experience, there should be significantly less than 2% chance you would need a chamber. More chance of serious injury driving to the harbor.

I obtained the book, "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" 5th Edition. And I know its from 2008, but is it still the case that Hawaii (Big Island) still doesn't have a decompression chamber on the island? If so then does anyone have any clue as to how one would handle a DCS emergency on the island?

Avoiding doing things that tend to create a risk of a DCS emergency seems to work well for most people.

I've heard of 4-5 DCS incidents (probably there are others) in the decade I've been here, and all but one were obvious violations of the diver's training. The one that wasn't basically pushed their computer's limits.

We did the manta dive with Big Island Divers last night what time that was can't wait to do it again!!! Went on their 2 tank this morning and then booked another for tomorrow what a blast it's been. will try to put some pictures up.

Thanks for clarifying. I know that chances are low that DCS would hit me or my wife but things happen. And Yes my wife and I both have DAN so we should be covered if something did happen. In any event I will not let the lack of a chamber deter us from going to Big Island. The Manta Ray night dive is really looking like the pinnacle dive of Hawaii; but there is also so much else to do and see there. I am really looking forward to this trip.

...a pinnacle dive of the Island of Hawaii.

While I had a great dive when I did it and will do it again if opportunity presents itself (shore poach?), it is really just holding on to the bottom for a half an hour, and some people have been skunked.

The diving in Kona is so good that almost anywhere you can get to the shore, and get in and out safely, is a great dive. If the seas are down you're only limited by your enthusiasm and diligence in seeking out access points. You could dive every day for a month and not exhaust the opportunities within an hour's drive north or south of Kailua. Honaunau/Place of Refuge, Old Airport (west end), and 4-Mile are good starting points and the first two are often diveable even when the seas or winds are up a bit.

I like Big Island Divers for rental (and Manta dives!) - $7/day for a tank and around $4 for a refill. They may even have a better weekly on the tank, I can't recall. I always rent two tanks apiece for the time we're there - less hassle scheduling dives that way.

Bonus with the Manta dive: the Undulated Moray snaking it's way in and around you and your gear - will you even see it?

17 hours and counting...

To find out more about chambers and evacuation,You can always call DAN (Divers Alert Network (diversalertnetwork.org, 800-446-2671). They seem to be pretty happy answering questions even if you are not a member.

Another question for those who would know. While shore-diving off of Hawaii is a dive flag required or recommended? Would I be fine just carrying a safety sausage in the event that I need to surface away from shore? Any other safety equipment I should be aware of? Is a dive knife or line-cutter recommended?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom