Planning trip to Truk next year- Odyssey or Thorfinn ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of all the reports I've seen about the Odyssey, none have been negative. That's really saying something.
I think the verdict is in - its the Odyssey for sure now. We didn't really want to take our chances again on the Thorfinn, because while we know the wrecks are great no matter how you get there, we wanted the surface intervals to be more enjoyable. The Thorfinn's a/c was infamous for breaking down at the worst times,( like whenever guests were aboard:D ), and the food was ... food. Nothing to remember fondly at all. Perhaps the only thing we liked was the ability to be the only divers on a wreck, but that wasn't often enough to make it important.Plus the skiff rides, when the engines were running, were adventures in themselves. Depending on the guide, and distance of the wreck from the Thorfinn. if it was far away,sometimes the guide would go full throttle (or at least it seemed like it) and the ride got pretty bumpy. Since I'm the underwater model for my photographer hubby, it's pretty hard to put on makeup while the skiff is bouncing around :blinking:. I tried putting on the makeup before the skiff rides, but I looked like a raccoon after a couple of trips, so I just gave up. One less thing to be worried about on the Odyssey.

Thanks all for your replies and info , it really helped.If there's any more questions I have I'll let you know. I'm sure right before we get ready to leave more things will pop up. But I now think its time for me and Mr.divergal to get some nitrox training and really enjoy those wrecks.

I was on the Thorfinn during my visit to Truk, and had a very miserable experience. As I've read over and over again in previous posts, beware of captain Lance. The diving in Truk is good no matter which boat you use as a platform, but the experiences I had on this boat were the among the worst liveaboard experiences I've ever had. Major A/C issues, very poorly planned dives, food was inedible, cabins were a disgrace, boat is old and tired, and the captain makes you feel as though you wouldn't dare to complain. He is a very dominant individual, and the crew literally fears his wrath. If it wasn't a ridiculously expensive holiday he was ruining for me, it would have made for almost humerous example on how NOT to run a dive operation.

What a shame, because the crew was awesome and did the best they could.

Honestly, chose the Odyssey. No, I haven't been on it, but I can gaurantee you it's a much better run show than what this vessel has to offer.

@deepblueseaz,
Thanks for your post. It sounds like the Thorfinn hasn't really changed at all since we were on it. Capt. Lance pretty much treats the boat like his own little kingdom. We should have known that this dive trip was going to be a little different because he had a sign that said - "Have you flogged your workers today" or something like that. As the week wore on and we saw how the boat was run - pretty much ordering all the crew around like serfs, it became pretty apparent he really meant what he said on that sign!
The crew was totally awesome though, like you said , and really made the best of their situation. One of the guides - "Cookie" was the best - he knew where EVERYTHING was on the wrecks - he pulled out old binoculars, a case that had some old newspapers and coins, and all kinds of goodies that we probably couldn't find on our own.
Anyway, how was the diving? We got in 29 dives in 6 days but dove mainly on the shallower wrecks.
But next time we're definitely going on the Odyssey...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom