Plano Texas Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be in the Plano area for business mid January. Can anyone tell me where I can go diving?

Just wanted to say Welcome to the Board!

The only decent diving in that area that I am aware of is at Lake Terrell. Athens Scuba Park is another option but I wouldn't recommend diving there.

Welcome to the boards and now to answer your question.

I am guessing Clear Springs in Terrell (about an hour away) will still be open. Athens will be closed for the winter at that time.

It gets cold and windy around here that time of year and many of us are whimps when it comes to that kind of diving.

TwoBit

What's wrong with Athens?

Athens tends to coat every peice of shiny metal on your rig with a nice green film. As I recall, the max depth is somewhere in the 20 - 30' range. There are no fish at all, the green film got them. Lots of sunken stuff if that interests you but nothing of any interest at all when you are swiming from one peice of junk to another.

I was looking at my dive long when I first dove Athens back in 97... it said "what a mud hole".

You could take a drive up to Lake Murray, Oklahoma. It would be about the same distance from Plano as Terrell~CSSP
Lake Murray is free ,sorta deep, 100ft and dark in places and more of an adventure then Terrell. Terrell is nice and easy and If you have not been there before you'll enjoy it.
Athens... you'll get nice photographs but the water is full of Alum. That stuff is good for cuts and will keep Grandma'a pickles stiff but it's Hell on your dive gear.

Sorry chaps, but the original poster hasn't been online since 2003... :11:

You should be aware that the diving around here is mostly murky lake diving. Even "clear" springs is not very clear. Clear Springs is popular because it offers a convienient day excursion for those in the metroplex.

Back
Top Bottom