Plantation Bay Resort, Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any word on this resort or associated Hawskbill Adventures diving concession? Looks pricey but worth it. Just thought I'd plumb for any local knowledge or hints. I hope to post a nice lengthy report this winter...mu ha ha.

If you're gonna spend that much and can afford it, go for Shangri La instead. Better amenities and Shang has a marine protected area right infront of the beach while Plantation has an enclosed cove.

To go diving, Scotty's and Hawksbill are good dive ops but very expensive. You'll get what you pay for for either of them. I don't know the prices of Hawksbill but if I remember correctly Scotty's is $75/dive and $25 for every additional one. What I did (and reco for you) was exit the resort and go to a local dive op. The original dive op of them all is Liquid Assets owned by Buboy Mancao (as in pretty much all the old school dive people in that area began working for him). And his bangkas are the biggest and best one out there.

Make sure to dive Hilutugan and Nalusuan. In Hilutugan the Jacks feed everyday around 2pm. Buboy also knows where there are whale sharks - we tried looking for some when I was there but no luck. He apparently spotted them a couple days before I went with him.

Hope that helps!

yep best resorts in cebu but pretty pricey.. also recommend scubaworld hadsan for some budget diving and its just in front of hilutungan..

I agree with chip's recommendations. As far as I know, Scubaworld is now in Plantation Bay and no longer in Hadsan and they're pretty good dive op as well.

versatile34:
yep best resorts in cebu but pretty pricey.. also recommend scubaworld hadsan for some budget diving and its just in front of hilutungan..
Actually Jops, Scubaworld moved late last year from Hadsan to the new hilton. They also put up a shoddy shack right next door where they have the compressor, tanks, and some space for a couple of divers.

I don't know if there's still a SW in Plantation Bay.

Edit: Rik, I'm not bashing Plantation Bay at all. It's a very nice and well known resort around that area so if you want to stick with them, go for it.

Scubaworld is no longer with Plantation Bay. It's now 7 Seas Aquanaut.
Agree with Chip. Go for it! It's a nice resort. But dive somewhere else.

Thanks folks. Personally, I like the (apparent) ambience of Plantation Bay over Shangri La. Also, Plantation seems to be a (considerable) bit cheaper. We'll see where I end up. I'm not opposed to using an outside dive op but the prices listed on 7 Seas didn't seem so bad. Still have to compare. Please keep those comments coming. Hopefully, I'll post a nice full report early next year. I'm dreaming of it...

chip104:
If you're gonna spend that much and can afford it, go for Shangri La instead. Better amenities and Shang has a marine protected area right infront of the beach while Plantation has an enclosed cove.

I can't comment on the diving, but I'd recommend the Shang as well over Plantation Bay. I stayed at the Plantation Bay Resort and it was OK. I wasn't too impressed with the rooms considering the price. The enclosed cove? That's a man made shallow swimming pool. Plus its waaay out of the way compared to Shangri La if you need to get into Cebu City or go elsewhere.

BTW, there is also a new hilton on mactan I believe.

chip104:
Actually Jops, Scubaworld moved late last year from Hadsan to the new hilton. They also put up a shoddy shack right next door where they have the compressor, tanks, and some space for a couple of divers.

I don't know if there's still a SW in Plantation Bay.

Edit: Rik, I'm not bashing Plantation Bay at all. It's a very nice and well known resort around that area so if you want to stick with them, go for it.

oic.. i thought it was the other way around..

pakman:
BTW, there is also a new hilton on mactan I believe.

I don't reco it - crappy beach. crappy pool. crappy buffet. The beach is next to a wharf so the garbage floats over. What Hilton did was put up a large hose that pumps and blocks the garbage from floaing over. The sand is pebbly and once you get into the water it's crushed corals so it doesn't feel nice on the feet. When I went last year it was improving the beach front - maybe it's better now.

Though the rooms and are nice and the view is awesome since it's a tall building. They also have a water fall/stream thing going on and it's pretty nice to sit in. I think I may have some pics but the gallery is down. Staff are super sweet - as expected from those lovely cebuanos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom