Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Isla Mujeres (or another whale shark place)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cumbo, not sure when you are planning to visit Mexico, but high season has started here and it will end about mid-August. The whale shark season ends 15th September. If you come at end of high season, should be no problem to just wait and then book your whale shark trip when you get to Isla Mujeres. Can check out a few places, see which op. you like. If you are coming in the midst of high season, then maybe you want to book in advance so you aren't worrying about whether trips are sold out or not. I personally book stuff like that when I arrive at where I'm going, but that approach doesn't work for everyone. Sorry, but don't have any recommendations for you. To get Isla Mujeres, have to take the ferry to Playa del Carmen and then go up to one of two ferry terminals in Cancun to get I. Mujeres ferry.

If you are staying in Tulum, I'd suggest going to Gran Cenote. It's generally less crowded than Dos Ojos and located less than 10 minutes outside of Tulum's center (on the Coba road). All of the cenotes are impressive, but this one is really special because it is so much brighter due to it's high calcium content. Gran Cenote has one cavern line (compared to 2 in Dos Ojos) so you can do one dive there and then another dive at a different cenote. Calavera (Temple of Doom) is close by as is Carwash. Calavera is interesting and can be scary to some because you have to jump into the water from a height of about 10ft in order to enter the water.

Another Mayan ruin you might be interested in visiting is Coba, 45 min outside of Tulum. It is in the middle of the jungle so it's really green/lush compared to Chichen Itza. You can also climb the pyramid which you cannot do at CI. It's a very different experience from CI so it depends on what kind of experience you want.

Have a great trip and fantastic dives!

Hello. The diving in Cozumel is great, but there is good diving in Playa, as well. I like Playa because it is centrally located for cenotes, Cozumel, and the Whale Sharks. The best place to snorkel with the whale sharks is out of Cancun. We use one called Ecocolors. They will pick you up at your hotel in Playa and take you to Cancun. They provide a light breakfast, lunch, beverage and ceviche. When the day is done, they bring you back. It is so worth it. Last year i went in mid July and saw over 100. You can also go out of the island of Holbox, but you don't see as many.

Yes, cenotes are definitely worth it!!!!! They are amazing!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom