Playa Del Carmen Daily Dive Report! Geofish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sounds great!

June 23, 2010 (Morning Dive)

Tortugas and Sabalos

Today was a beautiful day with the temperature at 84F/29C and the wind at 9knots/10.3mph from the ENE. The waves were minimal this morning at 3ft/1m.

Tortuga was great today! Our max depth was 70ft/21m for 40 minutes and the water temp was at 84F/29C. Visibility was about 70ft/21m. We saw 5 hawksbill turtles, 6 huge Rainbow Parrotfish, one big Cubera Snapper, and 2 Southern Stingrays towards the end. We were hoping to find the Tarpon this morning at the end of Tortuga, but no luck. Great dive to start the off with.

Sabalos was awesome as always. Our max depth was 40ft/12m for 50 minutes. The visibility was around 80ft/24m and the current was perfect. We saw one Hawksbill Turtle, 1 Pipehorse, 2 Lobsters, 1 Southern Stingray, 2 green morays, and the giant schools of Grunts and Snapper that call this reef home. Two great dives!

Thanks Ed and I will see you soon!

June 23, 2010 (Afternoon Dives)

Moche Shallow and Jardines

For the most part the weather was about the same this afternoon, the only thing that changed was the temperature...........it got hot today at 88F/31C plus humidity.

Moche was really nice today. We had DSD's and refreshers today and they really enjoyed this reef today as usual. Great visibility, around 70ft/21m. We saw 2 Spotted Moray's, 2 Dog Face Puffer Fish, and the real treat was the beautiful Green Turtle that was eating on top of the reef along with the massive school of Grunts and Snapper.

We are doing courses all day tomorrow, so I don't think you will need a report on the pool conditions, but on Friday we will be going to Punta Venado on Friday which should be very nice!

Enjoy and Happy diving to all.

Pretty large storm heading our way right now. A little bit of it this morning and afternoon cancelled our day of diving. Right now it is a Level 1 Tropical Cyclone, but that should change in several hours to a more severe storm. It is currently off the coast of Honduras and should be close to the Yucatan Peninsula by 2pm tomorrow and right on us at about 6pm. It is moving West-Northwest at 10mph right now and has maximum sustained winds of 35mph. So I don't know about the diving tomorrow, but I think we might be in for a show come tomorrow afternoon.

thank you for your continued updates. They are very much appreciated!

Since we are flying into yucatan this coming tuesday we would heavily prefer for "Alex" to move away before then :) As far as I have seen on various storm watch models, it seems that it should be have passed yucatan by monday sometime.

Hello Geofish.....just wanted to thank Max and Morgan for the wonderful dives. Not to happy about Tropical storm Alex spending so much time in town but I just wanted to complinent the Geofish staff for all the incredible service. Nothing like having all of your equipment cleaned, stored and prepared for the next days dive. We will certainly be back in November (already looking at dates) to dive with the Bullsharks. Until then - thanks guys!:D

July 1, 2010

We have been battling the remnants of Alex for a week straight now. The port has been closed since last Friday. Today the temperature is 85F/29C and the wind is blowing at 18mph/16knots from the SE. The wave height is at 2.8m/8.5ft and that is what is causing the harbor to be closed.

The great thing about this part of the world is that during weeks like this we have options. We do not have to lose all our business for the ocean because we have the Cenotes. We currently have 8 Open Water Certifications and instead of canceling them we can take them to the Cenotes and do their certifications there. This is an amazing place to dive, ocean or cenotes, so when the weather is bad there are always the option to go to the cenotes or Cozumel.

The weather should be clearing up a little by Saturday and then the winds come again until Wednesday.

July 9, 2010

Tortuga and Barracuda/Sabalos

The visibility is still not back to normal, but it is definitely getting better. It was about 50ft at Tortuga. The currently was surprisingly very nice, not too strong. We saw 2 Hawskbill Turtles, about 6 big Rainbow Parrotfish, a free swimming Green Moray Eel. The southern most reefs are pretty nice right now. With all the rain and wind have had the last 2 weeks there is a large halocline that is apparent till about 3 meters down. Very nice dive.

Barracuda was very nice. Again there was a large halocline for about 3 meters then just beautiful blue. At the second overhang there was a very large Hawksbill Turtle that swam right in between all of us, stopped, looked at me then one of the other divers and then went up for a breath. Great dive, we actually did all of Barracuda and about half of Sabalos for a nice hour dive.

Today we are at Punta Venado and the weather is great. The temperature is 84F/29C. The winds are from the East at 6knots/7mph and the wave height is at a meager 3ft/.9m.

I am looking forward to diving with you guys again by this time next week. Hope that things continue to improve. What are the bottom temperatures like?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom