Playa Del Carmen Daily Dive Report! Geofish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

July 12, 2010

Punta Venado and Barracuda/Sabalos

Today the weather was amazing. The water was like glass and the visibility is coming back nicely. The wind was blowing from the ESE at 6knots/7mph. The waves were 3ft/.9m.

Punta Venado was awesome today. The visibility was about 80ft/24m, it tends to be a lot better for now the more south we go. We saw two Hawksbill Turtles towards the middle of the dive, one baby and one adult. We saw a huge Southern Stingray that swam right past us. Our max depth was 82ft/25m and our total bottom time was 51min.

Barracuda/Sabalos was nice as always. We saw 3 hawksbill turtles at Barracuda , 2 big Green Moray's and 2 stingrays. I found a Pipehorse under the second overhang that we checked out for a couple minutes. We got about half way through Sabalos, but it was great. The visibility at both sites was about 60ft/18m. Great day of diving, tomorrow we have Mama Vina on the schedule with Pared Verde for Wednesday.

Thanks to everyone that reads the reports, I hope they are helpful. Enjoy and Happy Diving.

We enjoyed water temps of 73F in the Niagara River last weekend, which is really warm by our standards. I actually dived in a 3/2mm. The Great Lakes are another story and it will be back into the drysuit after the trip to Playa. Good work with the weather :wink: Please keep it up!

July 14, 2010

Pared Verde and Cueva Pargo

Today the weather was perfect for our morning dives. The air temperature was 29C/84F, the wind was blowing from the ENE at 5knots/6mph, the wave height was 1m/3.3ft. The wave height that I give on these reports is not the wave height over the reefs and close to shore, it is the wave height over the Cantil.

Pared Verde was so nice today. I was hesitant in going there today only because I thought it would be better to let the visibility get a little bit better. Usually the northern reefs take longer to settle after storms and lots of rain. I thought otherwise and went anyway and it was so worth it. The visibility was around 80ft/24m at our max depth which was 97ft/29m. Our total bottom time was 33min. The sea life was super abundant today with Turtles, schools of Barracuda, 3 big Southern Stingrays, about 10 Wahoo, around 30 Horse Eye Jack, and the real treat of the dive was the school of about 100 Yellow Fin Tuna. Amazing dive as it always is at Pared Verde.

Cueva Pargo was really nice today. The visibility after the 3m halocline was around 60ft/18m. There was absolutely no current today, so the visibility was as good as it was going to get. We saw 3 eels, one Green Moray, and 2 Spotted. On this dive there is a part of the reef that we have to swim to crossing a large portion of sand and today in the sand we came across a super small Pipefish. And then out of nowhere a huge Hawksbill Turtle dives from the surface right in between our group. Once we got to "Oasis" (second portion of Cueva Pargo) we saw another Pipefish deep inside a sponge, but this one was a Harlequin Pipefish (alternating Brown and Yellow bands). We also saw a nice sized Black Grouper. Great set of dives and we couldn't have asked for better conditions.

Tomorrow July 15, 2010: Punta Venado and Barracuda/Sabalos

July 15, 2010

Punta Venado and Barracuda

Today the weather was perfect in the morning. The water was super flat and there was almost no wind. The temperature this morning was 83F/29C and the wind was blowing from the NE at 7knots/8mph.

Punta Venado was very nice today with the visibility at around 70ft/21m. This reef is always such a pleasure to dive. It is less frequented by dive shops so the coral is in great shape and there is an abundance of smaller and big sea life. Today as we were descending a large Hawksbill turtle was ascending right next to us (how lucky is that?) We saw two big Green Moray Eels, one was swimming along the bottom and the other was under a small over hang. Our max depth was 80ft/24m for 35min. Great dive and the visibility is slowly, but surely coming back!

Barracuda was very nice as well today. We got there before the crowds so we had the whole reef to ourselves. The visibility was about 60ft/18m and there was pretty much no current right now for some reason and it is making to viz and diving really nice. Today the reef was full of schools of snapper and about 10 Eels. Very nice dive.

Yesterday in the afternoon my brother was at Cueva Pargo and a Loggerhead Turtle joined their group and actually tried to grab onto one of our Dive Master students back. My brother had to push her and the Turtle out of the way, but the turtle continued to follow them. This is the season for giants and they are here. The Tarpon, the big turtles, the Rays, the Eels, and today our boat crew saw a Whale Shark swimming north while we were diving. It is a great time to dive right now!

Okay so this is not Playa conditions but tonight's dive was so exceptional for our part of the world that it is worth noting. We dove a couple of wrecks in the St Clair River that separates the US from Canada at the base of Lake Huron. Bottom temp was 73F and viz was 50'. My buddy with perhaps 1000+ dives in the River had never seen Viz this good. It looks as though I'll be bringing my tropical wetsuit to Playa wet, hope it doesn't put me over my baggage limit :wink:. We'll be back there tomorrow to conduct some OW cert dives following the start of the Port Huron-Mackinaw sail race.

Nice Don. Sounds like a great day of diving. I have always had a special place for wrecks in my diving heart. I really would love to start diving more of them. I think a trip out the Southeast coast of the States is in order for me. Or maybe up to Canada to dive with you guys. We have been diving in swimming trunks and rash guards and I haven't been cold once. The water is ranging from 82-85F everyday. See you on Monday Don. Along with Ed who else is going to be with you guys?

You'll be meeting Patrick and Dave. Patrick is a divemaster and past-president of our dive club and Dave is his old friend now living in BC. I think you will find us to be low maintenance (at least in the water:wink:). Perhaps I'll save the wetsuit for the cenotes and do the rash guard experience in the ocean. I was diving off Vancouver Island a few weeks ago in a drysuit with 40 lbs of lead so it will be really nice to feel warm water.

We went to North Carolina this spring and there is certainly fine wreck diving there but you must try the Great Lakes sometime as it is the only place you can dive on historic wooden wrecks. The bottom conditions are anaerobic so that the wooden hulls are intact even after 150 years. It is deep, cold and dark - the sort of challenge that can really appeal to an experienced diver looking for something with an edge. See you Monday.

Just wanted to thank geofish for a great couple days of diving. Water was fantastic. Got to see a bunch of stuff. I would recommend these guys to anyone looking to diving in the area. They are top notch.

September 6, 2010

Sorry everyone for the lack of dive reports, but we honestly are not doing many morning dives right now. We are super full with courses and afternoon dives for beginners. There seems to be a lack of certified divers coming our way right now, but we are staying super busy with courses so that is good.

The port is closed today for the 3rd straight day with winds coming from the SE at 19knots/21mph. This causing big swells and very rough water with the waves today reaching 2.3m/7.5ft. The hight temp for today is 85F/29C. The water temperature has been staying very warm at 84F/28C. Hope everyone is doing well and Happy Diving to all!

We have courses all week and our first morning dive of the week will be Thursday and we are going to Mama Vina (Ship Wreck).

Back
Top Bottom