Playa del Carmen lodging, cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planing a quick trip to the cenotes in January and will be starting the vacation off in Cozumel. I was wondering if anybody had recommendations for a small mom and pop type / bed and breakfast place that was popular with the diving crowd. We are planning on diving with diablo divers, their shop is at cenote choc mol. We wont have a car since we are staying onlytwo nights on the mainland before flying out of Cancun so it would be a big plus to be staying near the cenote area and also being close to the ADO bus-line for the trip to Cancun international airport. Thanks for your suggestions

i stayed in playa at the hacienda del caribe. it is right around the corner from the ado station and a short walk to the ferry. it was a decent hotel with a small pool and restaurant and bar on site. and it was cheap. not familiar with diablo but i can tell you there are many dive shops within easy walking distance of the hacienda. all of which would provide transportation to the cenotes. just check with the shop ahead of time to see which cenotes they prefer to dive. if you are set on doing chac mol, make sure they will dive there.
personally i would recommend contacting bluelife. you can't find better.

From everything I can find, it appears that the ADO bus line does not stop anywhere between Playa del Carmen and Tulum. You can take the ADO to Playa and then transfer to a smaller line, or take a taxi from there.

Chac Mool is almost across the highway from Puerto Aventuras. There are lots of rental options there -- we have booked our condos through Debbie at Dive Aventuras (info@diveaventuras.com). There are a couple of all-inclusives, as well, as at least one just plain old hotel. One advantage of staying in Puerto is that there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance of any lodging.

You could also consider staying in Akumal. I have stayed in the bungalows at the Akumal Caribe, and they were pleasant and reasonably priced. You get breakfast at the Lol Ha restaurant, and again, you are within walking distance of a couple of places to eat. I really like Turtle Bay -- good food for any time of the day.

Are you committed to Diablo Divers? I find it surprising that they don't offer pickup service. There are probably a dozen dive shops in Playa del Carmen that do cenote dives. I dive with Scuba10 and they will pick up people in Playa and anywhere else along the coast on the drive to the cenotes which are situated between Playa and Tulum.
Playa del carmen is a fun tourist town. Lots of bars and restaurants. I stayed at Cielo a few years ago and thought it was a good deal. A few blocks from the bus station for the trip to the airport.
Playa del Carmen Hotel - Hotel Cielo

I have stayed in Barrio Latino many times, it´s fine, there is place to hang your stuff outside the room, internet, and you are close to the ADO terminal, the fifth and a lot of food options (my favourite italian restaurant is just in front of Barrio Latino) and if you are not set on Diablo, you can walk around the corner and you will find Yucatek, and a few more (including being walking distance from Protec Playa). That´s the way I usually roll around there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom