Playa Del Carmen sharks killed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I came across this today. I've done the shark dive in Playa Del Carmen, it was an amazing experience to see the sharks show up on a non-baited drift dive. It's sad to read that someone found a quick buck more important.

Oceanic Defense: Economic Hit in a Mexican Town - a community's sharks killed

Economic Hit in a Mexican Town - a community's sharks killed
Local newspaper article reveals the town's anger (photo: Eli Martinez)
November 12, 2010
by Samantha Whitcraft

There is a lovely town in Mexico's Yucatan called Playa del Carmen; to some people it's one of a series of fun beach spots and a great place to kick back with a beer and watch another Caribbean sunset, but to others it is the place to dive with bull sharks. Every year, around this time, beautiful bull sharks -- up to 20-25 at a time, perhaps remnant of a once bigger aggregation -- show up just off the coast. And because their appearance there is predictable, they became a strong eco-tourism draw. People who love sharks, and their numbers are growing, will pay handsomely to see these amazing animals. And for the past several years, local businesses awaited the arrival of "the bulls of Playa del Carmen" along with the economic boost it brought them and the entire town.
Divers and photographers experiencing "the bulls of Playa del Carmen"
Four days ago, however, nine of "the bulls of Playa del Carmen", likely some of the same sharks that local dive operators, famous photographers, and even tourists had come to know and love, were killed by a local fisherman from a neighboring town. His name is Humberto Andusi from Puerto Morelos, Mexico, and by all accounts, he knew exactly what he was doing; like all experienced fishermen he knows when and where the fish are. Additionally, the location and value of the sharks to the dive industry there was no secret. Humberto sought out and killed these sharks, seven of which where reproductive females. And if the loss of reproductive females were not enough of a blow to the current and future population in the area, Eli Martinez, editor of Shark Diver Magazine reports from his contacts in Playa del Carmen that, in fact, approximately 50 pups were pulled from the dead animals. The sex ratio of that entire generation that was wiped out is unknown -- how many future breeding females where also killed? Those pups represented the future success of the only known bull shark aggregation along Mexico's Yucatan peninsula.

The biological loss in terms of population recovery, locally, could be significant in that the estimated average number in the aggregation, based on Shark Diver Magazine's trip reports since 2009 is a maximum of 22 animals. The loss of seven females is especially problematic because bull sharks, like most large sharks, have a slow reproductive rate -- specifically, they mature at 10-15 years old and have 1-13 pups at a time. Given these back-of-the-envelope numbers and assuming a low migration rate of 'new' sharks into the area, the bull shark aggregation at Playa del Carmen may not fully recover for a decade or more. Time will tell and responsible dive operators who care about these animals and their livelihood will, hopefully, keep a close count and a watchful eye on the aggregation over the coming years.

There is a a very real human impact too. Martinez, who leads a yearly trip to dive with the sharks at Playa de Carmen, stated that "...9 bull sharks, which was the working population of sharks the dive shops were working with...and all these females were returning which means these were the same females that came to these waters each and every year. Sad, makes me so damn sad." Since the sharks were caught and killed, the local dive operators haven't seen any of the remaining animals in the area. If the sharks don't come back, Martinez estimates a significant economic hit to the town. A rough, low-ball calculation of the numbers looks like this: there are about 10 dive shops in the area of Playa del Carmen that advertise and bring in divers with the draw of their bull sharks; on average, combining all the shops, there are as many as 30 divers per day paying about $120 each for the experience...now multiple that by a 150-day season. Playa del Carmen's dive industry alone stands to lose in the area of $540,000 this year. That number does not include the loss of revenue to supporting industries like local restaurants, bars, and hotels that cater to the divers that come for the sharks.

By comparison, Señor Andusi probably made between $100 to $200 per shark grossing himself between $900 to $1800 for a single days' work. He likely sold the animals, whole, to a 'runner' who transported the sharks to Cancun or Mérida and doubled his money selling them to an exporter, who in turn will make his profit on the international 'market' with the most valuable parts of the sharks -- the fins, oil, and cartilage. Surprisingly, as in many countries, this series of events is completely legal in Mexico.
The "bulls of Playa del Carmen"? (photo: sharks - Photos)

Today, shortly after the local newspaper article came out about what had happened and who had killed Playa del Carmen's bull sharks, Señor Andusi walked into one of the leading dive shops in town, Phantom Divers, and apologized to the owner. Apparently, community pressure exerted via the local press had an initial impact. Hopefully, the same community pressure will be applied to the Mexican government's fisheries agency, National Commission of Aquaculture and Fishing (CONAPESCA) to more fully and effectively protect Mexico's valuable sharks.

WHAT CAN YOU DO? 1. Support responsible, sustainable shark eco-tourism to keep our sharks worth more alive than dead at the local level; 2. Be an informed consumer and never buy anything with shark product in it including pills, foods, clothing and cosmetics; and 3. Be a vocal and active advocate for stronger shark conservation laws in your community or where you vacation.

very sad indeed.. we were there last week.. we didn't do the shark dive because it isn't regulated and there is no safety equipment used by the DMs or the divers..

I have done a shark feeding dive in the bahamas with black tips.. i was tempted to do the bullshark dive but figured the safer move was to skip it... however the discussions i had with the DMs informed me how important they were to the Playa diving scene, horrible that one person screwed that up and will take tens of thousands from the local community and not be punished for it.

This really really stinks! I arrive to PDC tomorrow and even just e-mailed a shop inquiring about a doing a shark dive. I was planning for that to be a highlight of my trip. Too bad that A-hole had to destroy part of the ecosystem!

anyone think it might have been political?

ie: the locals don't want the bullsharks coming closer to shore, eventually ending in someone's death?

Hopefully the publicity of what happened will help some of the public be more "aware" of sharks and understand why their preservation is important.

It also helps that the fisherman supposedly at least apologized to some dive shops. Hopefully others will learn from this mistake.

The situation is terrible ..

Unfortunately the only sharks protected in Mexican waters are:

Whales, Tigers, Giant Mantas, Great Whites , and some species of mobulas. This means that they must not be targeted.

By catch or accidental fishing of these species is not illegal within certain limits. This is also true in the US (maybe not everywhere).

I have been working with conservation in the Revillagigedos and Guadalupe island, it is a totally different story there, but at least there we are fighting illegal fishing.

Now, shark meat is served all over North America and in Mexico, the firts or second largest fishery by tons in some areas is Cazon (a generic word for many species and sizes of sharks).

Two things to do here,

1) Work actively on protecting the Bull shark in Mexico and in my case also all or at least some of the Hammer species , none of them are protected, and they are migratory of course.

2) Avoid shark meat in your diet and do not eat ceviche of unknown origin (most of them are shark or ray at least on the Pacific coast). Most important is to educate folks around you to do the same !!!

I will post the Green Peace Mexico link in the following email for species that should not be consumed in Mexico.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom