Please avoid Offshore Dive Charters out of Jacksonville, Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was actually surprised by the temperment of the Captain and DM in one of my encounters. On a large 46' Newton cattle boat the DM boasted about having the right to pull up, hoist a flag and evict any boats within a few hundred feet because the Diver Down flag rules the road so to speak. In this case the Captain actually had the better temperment and offered to negotiate with the other fishermen to share the reef. His "out" so to speak was the fact that the fisherman wasn't anchored or tied into the wreck and actually several hundred feet off, so he just eased up tied in and the other guy got pissed and took off.

It's officially made the news and being investigated by the state.
News | Shorelines.com: Authorities look at report of 'boat rage'

A group of us had considered using this op for a run to the Jax Drydocks and I got some warnings from a few folks that advised me "to find another op, any other op". :11:

Authorities look at report of 'boat rage'

A participant in the kingfish tournament says his vessel was nearly rammed.

By DREW DIXON, Shorelines

Two law enforcement agencies are investigating reports of "boat rage" in which a participant in the AT&T Greater Jacksonville Kingfish Tournament said his vessel was damaged when he was nearly rammed by a boat carrying scuba divers about 50 miles east of Mayport.

Officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the State Attorney's Office said this week they're looking into the reported July 26 confrontation between the fishing and dive boat captains.

"It never occurred to me that [a dive boat] would intentionally attempt to run me down in order to bully me out of the spot," said fishing boat captain Robert Pelletier, who was in the tournament aboard the 28-foot WhipperSnapper. "Before I could even react, he collided with my port outriggers, causing them to bend toward the stern."

He said the incident happened about 11 a.m. at what's known as Elton Bottom, a reef about 15 miles west of the continental shelf that's popular among anglers and divers.

Pelletier said he immediately headed into port to the Coast Guard station in Mayport. He said he reported the episode to the Conservation Commission, which has jurisdiction over that area. He also withdrew from the fishing tournament.

Tournament Executive Director Mike Wheeler said Tuesday he and the tournament's communication staff were unaware of the incident.

Pelletier, of Jacksonville, also recounted the incident on the floridasportsman.com Internet message board.

He and others in the tournament said Offshore Dive Charters captain Dan Lindley of Jacksonville Beach encroached in their fishing area then intentionally tried to ram the fishing vessel after a heated exchange.

"It's a bunch of lies," Lindley said Wednesday. "I'm going to have to go to court and get to the truth."

Lindley said his charter vessel, the 46-foot Diamond Diver, had five scuba divers on board who were diving at Elton Bottom to spear fish. He said he properly deployed markers signifying divers were going down into the water, that Pelletier encroached upon his vessel and that the fishing boat was unanchored and drifting.

"He hit me," Lindley said.

Lindley insisted Pelletier's boat collided with the dive vessel, which docks at the Sandollar Restaurant & Marina along Heckscher Drive on Fort George Island.

Because of the dispute and damage to Pelletier's outrigger, the agencies began investigations this week.

Karen Parker, spokeswoman for the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, said Pelletier contacted that agency.

"We've got this investigation going," Parker said. "The outriggers were damaged and if what's reported is true, it appears to be a case of boat rage."

Parker said the investigation could take weeks since the incident happened so far out to sea. The State Attorney's Office is also investigating.

"The state of Florida has jurisdiction," said Jay Taylor, the director of the Special Prosecution Unit for the State Attorney's Office in Jacksonville. "Curiously, the Florida Constitution provides state jurisdiction for all nautical waters out to the Gulf Stream, which is about 60 miles."

Taylor said his office has also begun an investigation but that the next step is contingent upon what the Fish and Wildlife Commission officers find. Taylor said he'd likely consider charges of criminal mischief and assault if evidence supports the allegations.

Taylor acknowledged that an incident so far out at sea is difficult to investigate.

"You have to have evidence. You have to prove intent," Taylor said. "These are just allegations" as of now.

This is not the first time Lindley has had trouble with authorities for activities at sea. He was penalized twice in the 1990s by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries Service for civil violations of federal fishing regulations.

In 1997, the agency fined him $68,000 for poaching spiny lobsters out of season, stripping female lobsters of eggs and exceeding the catch limit for cobia. His commercial fishing license was suspended for 465 days.

Lindley agreed to a settlement that allowed him to pay a lump sum of $35,000 in that case and he was placed under a five-year probation.

NOAA spokeswoman Kim Amendola confirmed Wednesday that Lindley faced more penalties in 1999. His commercial fishing permit was revoked "for the rest of his life" and he was fined $10,000, a NOAA press release stated. Agency investigators ruled Lindley again committed civil violations of federal fishing regulations by catching lobster out of season and stripping lobster eggs after the Coast Guard boarded his 36-foot vessel, also named Diamond Diver, which federal officials seized and is used for training agents at NOAA.

NOAA Fisheries Southeast Administrator William Hogarth said then that Lindley represented a case of "irresponsible fishermen."

Meanwhile, Pelletier is seeking restitution for the damages to his outrigger, which could reach about $3,000, and he wants reimbursement for having to pull out of the kingfish tournament, which cost about $2,000 in entry fees and other costs.

Drew Dixon can also be reached at (904) 249-4947, ext. 6313.

Last edited:
"The state of Florida has jurisdiction," said Jay Taylor, the director of the Special Prosecution Unit for the State Attorney's Office in Jacksonville. "Curiously, the Florida Constitution provides state jurisdiction for all nautical waters out to the Gulf Stream, which is about 60 miles."

is this true? I've never heard of a state having jurisdiction 60 miles out.

seems fishy.

While appears to be a slant against divers and raping the reef...

The captain in question here is a proven convicted ##$$@@&&$$ and should not be a sea. Apparently he fingled his way back onto a paid gig. It sounds like this guy needs to have his feet nailed fast to the dock and a sign hung around his neck so the local urchins can throw fish heads at him and call him names.

It is unfortunate that a captain can get forced out of a business by getting such a bad reputation he can not make it then simply open under another name with unknowing victims stepping onboard.

We have one in the Jupiter area but it is only a matter of time before his reputation catches up to him again...

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/083008/nes_324493575.shtml

Boat rage incident won't be prosecuted

A vessel's captain in the kingfish tournament said a dive boat tried to ram him.

By DREW DIXON, Shorelines

Two law enforcement agencies said this week they will not seek prosecution in a reported "boat rage" incident in which a boat captain in the AT&T Greater Jacksonville Kingfish Tournament said his vessel was damaged when he was nearly rammed by a boat carrying scuba divers about 50 miles east of Mayport.

"According to my folks, the investigation has been completed. No charges are being filed," said Florida Fish and Wildlife ConservationCommission spokeswoman Karen Parker.

The episode occurred about 11:30 a.m. July 26 while Robert Pelletier was in his 28-foot vessel, the WhipperSnapper, at the Elton Bottom reef about 15 miles west of the continental shelf. Pelletier said he was trolling for fish in the tournament when a dive boat encroached on his fishing area. A heated verbal exchange followed.

Pelletier, of Jacksonville, told FWC investigators that the 46-foot dive boat captained by Dan Lindley motored toward the WhipperSnapper in an attempt to ram it, missing the boat but damaging its outrigger gear.

But Jay Taylor, director of the Special Prosecution Unit for the State Attorney's Office in Jacksonville, said discussions with FWC investigators provided little evidence that would support criminal charges.

"There was insufficient evidence to prove it was an intentional act," Taylor said Tuesday. "Without anything more than that, it was a dead end. ... It falls into the arena of an accident."

Lindley said the decision to not file charges vindicates his contention that he never tried to ram Pelletier's vessel.

"Good," Lindley said of the decision not to prosecute. "He [Pelletier] hit me. I didn't hit him. He caused the accident. I didn't cause the accident."

Pelletier, a former Jacksonville Beach narcotics detective and 2006 graduate of the Florida Coastal School of Law, said while no criminal charges are being filed, the case "is not over."

Pelletier acknowledged it is sometimes difficult to match evidence to support a claim such as the incident at sea with Lindley. But he said he'll pursue a civil court case against Lindley.

"The threshold for the civil side is much lower," Pelletier said. "Obviously I'm disappointed in the results. Obviously, law enforcement has a difficult challenge.

"I still stand behind my accusation," Pelletier said. He said Lindley's claim that Pelletier caused the near-collision "is absolutely false."

Pelletier said he'll submit a bill for about $5,000 to Offshore Dive Charters, owned by Lindley, whose boat, the Diamond Diver, is moored at the Sandollar Marina off Heckscher Drive on Fort George Island. That's the estimate of damage to the WhipperSnapper and loss of money paid to the kingfish tournament.

Pelletier said he expects Lindley to ignore the request for payment, after which he would file a lawsuit.

Lindley, of Jacksonville Beach, was penalized twice in the 1990s by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries Service for civil violations of federal fishing regulations.

In 1997, the agency fined him $68,000 for poaching spiny lobsters out of season, stripping female lobsters of eggs and exceeding the catch limit for cobia. His commercial fishing license was suspended for 465 days.

Lindley agreed to a settlement that allowed him to pay a lump sum of $35,000 in that case and he was placed under a five-year probation.

Lindley faced more penalties in 1999. His commercial fishing permit was revoked for the rest of his life and he was fined $10,000, an NOAA press release stated. Agency investigators ruled Lindley again committed civil violations of federal fishing regulations by catching lobster out of season and stripping lobster eggs after the Coast Guard boarded his 36-foot vessel, also named Diamond Diver, which federal officials seized and are using to train agents at NOAA.

Drew Dixon can also be reached at (904) 249-4947, ext. 6313.

Last edited:
While appears to be a slant against divers and raping the reef...

The captain in question here is a proven convicted ##$$@@&&$$ and should not be a sea. Apparently he fingled his way back onto a paid gig. It sounds like this guy needs to have his feet nailed fast to the dock and a sign hung around his neck so the local urchins can throw fish heads at him and call him names.

It is unfortunate that a captain can get forced out of a business by getting such a bad reputation he can not make it then simply open under another name with unknowing victims stepping onboard.

Hear, hear.

The kingfish tournament guy suggests though, that he was in fact not drifting when he says "We began drift fishing (although the current was slight, so I was able to hold on the location quite easily)"

It sounds to me like the dive charter dropped divers at one end of the reef, and in stead of drifting the reef, and then setting up again for subsequent drifts, that the fisherman held his position on the reef by driving his boat into the current periodically, thereby maintaining his position over the bottom while the divers drifted towards him.

The law regarding dive flags does not evict boats from operating in the area, it forces them to operate at idle speed within 300' of the flag in open water, and 100' in restricted water or channels, so even by driving his boat, essentially right over the divers, the fisherman wasn't actually doing anything illegal, however I do believe that the dive boat was adrift, and that by driving his boat into the area where the dive boat was, the fisherman bent his own rigger. I guess his arguement is that he was not moving over land, but I think that what's more important is that he was moving over water, and under power is under power.

It is easy to share the reef if everyone gets on the same page, but there are sometimes inconsiderate people who want to drop divers in front of a fisher's drift, or drop lines on top of your divers. Wrecks are a little trickier, but my policy has always been first come first serve. I wait for other dive boats or fisherman to come off the wreck before we drop divers on it, but not everyone adopts that sentiment.

BUDGIRL's Husband writes:

I Dive Off Jax alot, If I see A Someone Fishing on The Location I was Going to Dive, I would Just find Another Spot. This Is Out Respect... As They Say At the Buffet first Come First Serve. SAVE YOUR MONEY DON'T DIVE DURING A GJKFT

Budgirl says hubby needs to sign up with scubaboard and get his own name...:)

Dan Lindley is a tool. He also failed to report an accident when he hit a sea buoy. One of his passengers were injured and he failed to report. He is also a douche on land. He caught a friend on one of "his" sites and accused him of steeling his numbers off of a computer the friend was repairing. He has burnt every bridge in town in both fishing and diving and is legend for being a maverick and above the law. I dive out here and there is some friction between divers and fishermen, but I do both and most of the time, fishermen want to know what it looks like and what kind of fish are there. We can dive, fish during sit, catch plenty and dive again.

Aghhhh.......
Zombie thread!

But...
An interesting read neverthless.
I wonder if the Civil lawsuit came to fruition.

Chug
Will be on trial manana.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom