Please... Be patient!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C0mbatCarl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got my open water like two years ago and have done nothing with it. Without time or money to replace the equipment I ran over with my car, I have lost my entire knowledge base. When I am near a dive shop I plan to take a refresher course. I have reread my basic course book and spent several hours over the last week on this forum.
So... I have had money and I have began to buy new gear. This money bought a Ranger BCD and Hollis D2 Reg. My plan is to dive often now that I have plenty of time. What else should I get gear wise? I moved from TX to WA. My best bet is that ill spend most of my time in the Puget Sound/Pacific Coast/Planet Earth. I believe I would like to explore wrecks and dive at altitude. I read about a lake on the side of a mountain in Hawaii I would like to check out this summer. There is also a 130ft missile silo in TX I'd like to visit. I know Washington/Oregon have cold water. How big of a difference is a wetsuit to a drysuit and will I really need a dry suit?
I have been reading this forum and talking to people. I have been told to buy a mask dive comp and dry suit. A console style computer with a compass seems like a piece of equipment that would work for me, but there is no experience to reinforce this. I see that most people prefer wrist computers, but I read things about diving two computers or console and wrist comps. Also I have read to wait until the new model comes out. That is all seriously too confusing for me to help myself make a decision.
Id like a wetsuit so I can wake board. The weather/temp difference from TX to WA is kind of a big deal!
SO! I understand I need training and experience before I can get into deep and technical dives. However I believe I have began a fairly well rounded beginning setup and would like to make the rest of my purchases in the right direction.

P.S. I am no where near a shop or I'd just figure it all out there and if I left any background out that would help answer these questions, I'm sorry!

Would you consider taking a refresher course first before diving again?

If you're going to dive in the PWN area often then go with a dry suit. Can you do it with a heavy wetsuit? Sure. But it probably wouldn't be too enjoyable.

If you want something that you can use with wake boarding then buy a wetsuit first for that activity then get an outervest when you go scuba diving. If such a combination is good enough for you then don't bother to spend money on dry suit. If you're too cold diving like that then buy a dry suit and get a cheap wetsuit for wakeboarding.

You can dive here comfortably about six months out of the year in a 7 mm wetsuit ... April through October. In the colder months it isn't the water temp that'll get to you, it's the colder air temps once you get out. I do know a few hardy souls who dive wet in the winter, but I won't do it.

You don't need all the newest gadgets like a mask computer ... that's an expense you should save for a time when you decide you are diving enough to make it worth the investment. An inexpensive computer will serve you well. I would recommend getting one that's nitrox compatible, so that when you reach the point where you want to start diving nitrox you won't need to upgrade. A reasonable choice in computers should set you back about $300 to $400 ... perhaps less if you catch a sale. There are plenty of people here who can recommend appropriate models. If you are planning to get tech certified at some point, I would also consider getting one that will provide a good gauge mode for when you reach that point.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

First I would purchase a front and back mounted camera system for your car! You don’t want to run over your gear again.

Did you think about renting the equipment to determine what you like and suites your needs? There are basic things that you should buy like the mask, fins etc. However, you are new with higher level of certifications as your goal. Take it one step at a time. Dive, get more training and keep diving. After you get a number of dives under your belt with rental gear you might rule out equipment i.e. wrist vs. console easily.

As Bob stated above think about how the equipment purchased now will be compatible with your future training. One frustrating thing in purchasing equipment is realizing it does not suite your needs when your certification advances. Bob brought up a good point about Nitrox computers. The Nitrox won’t help you now but after a Nitrox cert you are good to go. One step at a time.

If you are nowhere near a shop how are you going to advance your training?

If you do end up getting a 7mm wetsuit instead of a drysuit for diving, you won't be wearing it wake boarding, you'll lack the mobility and don't need that much protection (unless you're wake boarding in the winter). Where I am in Vancouver I use a 3mm wetsuit for dinghy sailing / windsurfing which is more than enough for surface activities and gives you the mobility to swim and work the rope.

I'm just getting started diving myself but have heard several people recommend that a dry suit is significantly more comfortable in the waters up here.

I don't know where in Washington you are, but if you get out to the Sound, there are quite a few of of us who would be happy to show you the gear we have and explain why we have it, and even let you play with it after you've gotten your refresher out of the way. There's nothing like actually DIVING gear to know whether you like it or not.

You are taking the proper steps by talking to the people here on the board and getting the advice of very experienced divers in the areas you plan to dive, such as Bob. I believe that diving is first and formost a mental sport and it seems like you have that part covered. I encourage you to keep up the posts as well as continuing to gain diving experience. Both are necessary and will shorten your learning curve.

thank all of you for your input. im not in a place where i can get hands on right now. i def cant side on the computer all day to read though. what literature should i look at?

I don't know if you have a dive shop nearby, but the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving is not a bad place to start. There's actually quite a bit of good information in it.

Greetings CombatCarl and You have the right attitude. Just slow down and gather information like you are doing right now. Being located in Wash. You would do yourself a favor and heed the advice of TSandM and NWGratefulDiver they are two very well experienced divers. They are very active in the local scene in your area. Not only could they assist you to with proper gear choices but also introduce you to local dive sites and clubs that will help you to gain experience safely.
A very wise instructor once told me if you can buy the right gear the first time you save time and money. Not to mention be able to dive your local scene safely.
On the topic of computers wrist computers offer some great advantages. These are just my opinions and experience from having used both. I like the wrist mount for the computer and compass because it keeps it out front in plain view. I like user friendly computers that will allow Nitrox use and handle several gases. These can be found in the $350. to $500. range and I would research some of the puck style computers. I chose the Nitek Duo , Trio but others produce a simular model for varying prices.
I have a oceanic Pro Plus II and it has performed well with one exception that it was replaced when it developed a glitch. The main draw back is the hose and again this is just my opinion but it is just one more thing to dangle. If I was interested in advanced diving I would be looking to streamline and simplify.
Just my opinion but I would opt for the dry suit, I dive primarily cold water and even in the summer if going below 60' I dive dry. It just makes it more enjoyable and gas consumption is way better. Again research your options and seek advice from local divers.
Feel free to PM if I can help in any way but I would take TSandM and NWGratefulDivers offer for a meet and greet. They can offer you valuable advice and connections in your local scene. Enjoy the journey and welcome back to diving!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom