Please help me buy a tank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am the same height, a bit heavier, but we won't go there. I got two HP 117s new, both with pro valves, only because I could not find them used. I have never regretted it. They are the perfect height and provide the gas I need to keep up with buddies instead of running a bit short with rented HP 100s. My gas consumption has improved immensely over the years but I haven't considered changing the tanks. I have other tanks for other purposes, but these are still my work horse tanks when diving single tanks.

Hi all,

Just starting out. Got certified here in San Diego and want to start exploring California with my own gear. I’m cheap, but not stupid, so know buying good equipment is very important. I got Edge Hog D3 - DIN diaphragm sealed 1st stage with a Zenith 2nd stage. I have a Sea Quest Black Diamond Back Inflation BCD. Also got an aluminum 80cu ft tank that had Nitrox in it

I’d prefer to get a steel tank, with at least 95 cu ft. Higher cu ft, to help my newly certified, larger 215lb body get decent bottom time.

There’s a bunch of decent looking used tanks on OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace. One guy has an XS Worthington 100 for $280. 2 years out of hydro, looks clean. It has a Pro Valve he says. Is that okay for my DIN regs?

One guy has 2 of these: DOT-E9791-3500 TP5250. DIN Only Sherwood Steel 120CU FT Tank. Hydro and Visual Date is Apr 2024. Great Condition.$200 Each. Thoughts?

Other thoughts for me? Thx all!
Tanks are one piece of gear I think it's worth buying used. Educate yourself on the tanks you want, watch Craigslist/offerup/fb and be ready with cash. Good deals pop up if you're patient.

If tank doesn't have a recent hydro or inspection, ask if you can drain and look inside. Light is rust ok.

The tanks you mentioned sound ok if your regs are DIN.

Avoid that one prolific tank trader in San Diego - his prices are outrageous.

Tanks are one piece of gear I think it's worth buying used. Educate yourself on the tanks you want, watch Craigslist/offerup/fb and be ready with cash. Good deals pop up if you're patient.

Conversely - steel cylinders are possibly one of the few pieces of dive gear that hold value, assuming you don't abuse them. If the cylinders you want aren't available used, and new is in your affordable range, figure that you can unload them for probably not a whole lot less than you paid a few years down the road.

If tank doesn't have a recent hydro or inspection, ask if you can drain and look inside. Light is rust ok.
Educate yourself though on the "bad" Aluminum tanks so you don't get stuck with a turd that shops won't fill, even if it's pristine and passes Hydro+VE.

[/QUOTE]

If they were in good shape and match I'd buy those two 120s in a heartbeat.
They’re in hydro and VIS

Valves are in weird spot, should that matter?

Attachments

• IMG_6566.jpeg
    IMG_6566.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 35
They’re in hydro and VIS

That looks older a generation steel tank. It uses a 7/8" valve. Those valves can be a little hard to find and are usually quite a bit more expensive than the current 3/4" valve.

Unless it's a really good deal, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Edit: I missed the price in the original post. In my area, $200 would be a good price for those tanks. I'm short, not buoyant, and primarily dive freshwater, so 120s aren't a good size for me, but that might be different for you.

They’re in hydro and VIS

I own two PST HP120's (3,500 psig) that are just like the cylinder you show in your pic. I am 6'2" with long legs, and I can't comfortably dive these cylinders as singles. Being 28", they're too tall for me as singles. I wouldn't recommend these for recreational diving as singles to someone who is 5'11", probably.

Also, they're a bit of a pain to schlep; their length means carrying them by the valve means they're probably being dragged after a short distance.

Also, they're heavy (~40 lbs empty) out of the water.

Whatever cylinder you decide to purchase, I agree with the advice above that you should purchase at least two. If your LDS is the least bit inconvenient to you, you might consider a second pair, too, so that you can leave this second pair for filling/servicing at your LDS while you're away diving the first pair. Of course, this means you now have four annual VIP's and four 5-yr hydro's to fund!

rx7diver

There’s a bunch of tanks on the LA Craigslist for sale. There’s two Faber 100s with a current hydro and current vis for 300 each. 80s, 120s and deco bottles too.

I am 6'2" and I found these to be my preferred tanks. I have amassed a dozen over the years so i can do a long weekend trip without refilling and also because i end up loaning them out to buddies who also like them.

They provide enough gas for 2-3 dives off my boat (hit-n-run bug dives) or one long leisurely beach dive.

I don't find them too tall but tank preference is personal. I don't care much for 8" tanks so 120s are my sweet spot.

Thanks for all the advice! I used my LDS' 120lb steel tank last Sunday, and had no issues with it. Yeah, lugging it from the car was harder, but not too crazy.

I have an accepted offer on the two Sherwoods from the guy from LA. Great thing is he is coming to San Diego next week, so I don't have to drive to LA to get them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom