Please, judge me! Photo critique wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're like me, you don't get out much and its very difficult to see whether the frame is in focus on a 2" LCD. There are ome things you can do to make sure you're not helping things be out of focus. 1 is making sure you have the right camera settings. Don't be afraid to get close, crank up the shutter speed. As someone mentioned above, putting the camera on the Macro setting tells the camera where to start looking to focus. In this case, close up. It will still allow you to focus on objects farther away. Diffuser and or external strobe but I do agree that you need to get aquainted with your camera. I take my kids to the swimming pool and practice! They hate me. haha. Or take small toys that sink with you and practice macro shots in the pool. In any case the kids will hate you because you're the only dork showing up with a waterproof housing! Later,

FWIW - there are no manual settings on the SD range so there's no choice. Might have to try the various modes to see which auto setting works best.

I use sand all the time when I bother to set MWB - I don't even carry a slate :wink:

/hijack - fabulous to see so much help and advice and information in this thread...you guys ROCK!

/hijack - fabulous to see so much help and advice and information in this thread...you guys ROCK!

I'd like to second that motion! Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to work with my camera more before I work with a strobe but can anyone suggest a *cheap* simple strobe? I had a ton of fun shooting even though my results were mediocre, the blur might also be because there was about a 10ft surge throwing me around. Not that I'm making excuses!! I also have to brag about this sorry, on that dive I did come out with a video of a harbor seal staring right at me! :D

Thank you all again for your help and hopefully continued help!

Don't do a cheap strobe. Work with what you have and save for a strobe that won't frustrate you. There's plenty of information to get you started on the path in the Sticky (follow the Pink Link in my sig).

I'm still voting for being too close - unless your subjects are way bigger in real life than I think they are.

You can see what your settings were, even on a fully automatic camera like the SD, by going to Windoze Explorer, selecting the image, right clicking and choosing properties. Hit the summary tab, choose advanced - inside you'll find a whole slew of info including the shutter speed. If this is under 1/60 (at the slowest) then camera shake/motion blur are probably factors.

Click the pink link above, you'll be glad you did. I remember starting to read it and I couldn't stop. Just so much good information in there.

Strobes....here's a good link to get all your strobe stats. Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network My vote is always for Inon as they rock. Other people get good results with Sea&Sea and Ikelite.

I use sand all the time when I bother to set MWB - I don't even carry a slate :wink:
Well, that's interesting. I had never heard that tip before. That's a good thing to keep in mind. But what do you do when you're diving a wall that's thousands of feet deep? :rofl3: J/K.

Well, that's interesting. I had never heard that tip before. That's a good thing to keep in mind. But what do you do when you're diving a wall that's thousands of feet deep? :rofl3: J/K.

You could do a quick bounce down to several thousand fsw, find some sand, set the MWB, and then do a quick ascent. Alternatively you could just shoot RAW and adjust the WB in your living room :D.

it sounds as if we all disagree but if you look closely you will see you are just getting different advice from all of us. the good thing is, all of the advice you have been given is correct. i agree with fairybasslet mostly about one thing , alcina is the best. she knows much more about the subject than the rest of us put together. take every thing she says to heart. she also, as you can see, very respectful and encouraging. take loads of pics and have fun. tom

on your sd630 you can hit the display button a few times and it will give you on the screen all the info regarding fstops and the like. with the 3 inch sreen it will help quite a bit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom