Please Share This on Social Media!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
I'll preface this post by asking mods to leave this in the "basic" forum simply because it gets the most traffic and that is what's important. I'm also postings this here because as scuba divers, marine life is near and dear to most of our hearts. We want it to be around for not only us, but many generations after we're gone.

Below is a "public" post I shared on Facebook this morning. As I'm doing here, I called on my friends to share it with everyone. I ask that no one troll this thread with a discussion about whether people owning marine aquariums is right or not. If you want to do that, start your own thread. Instead, help spread the word to educate families who will rush out right after the movie and look to buy a blue hippo tang.

If you shared this information with your friends on social media, drop a line here so everyone can acknowledge how awesome you are. :)

Finding Dory: A darker side to the coming animated film featuring a Blue Tang

The post I shared is quoted below along with the above link.
As many of you know one of my hobbies is marine aquariums so I know a little bit about the subject. I've never asked anyone on Facebook to share anything I've posted, but I'm calling on my friends and the public to share this.

Disney is refusing to get ahead of the problem. Hobbyists have made a plea to them to use the movie "Finding Dory" as an opportunity to educate the public about Blue Hippo Tangs, "Dory". And why they don't make a good choice for most aquariums. Many asked them to simply put a short clip before the movie, but those calls fell on deaf ears. Profits over the environment.

So it's up to us. Please share this link. It takes two seconds and will save the lives of thousands of Blue Hippo Tangs. Unlike clownfish, "Nemo", most tangs are not captive bred, require a dedicated and skilled aquarium hobbyist and "at least" a 6 foot tank due to their very large size as they grow very fast. Rather than find Dory, help save her!

I've added a couple photos. One to illustrate the size difference between an adult clownfish and an adult blue hippo tang. Thousands of people are gowing to try to put "Dory" in small (because it's cheap) aquariums. They will go to their local fish store and see baby hippo tangs the size of a half dollar coin and think it will be fine. They don't understand that in 12 months (assuming it even survives that long) that fish will be 6 inches and continue to grow to 12 inches. To put this into perspective, the size of a 20 gallon long aquarium is 30" long X 12" wide X 12" tall. The fish is doomed. The fish is also a big time swimmer and needs lots of room. 8 foot aquarium. There's a reason why "Dory" says, "Just keep swimming".

image.jpg
image.jpg

I wish Disney would not encourage the aquarium marine animal trade--period.

I agree with your sentiment, but is Disney doing something, besides simply making a movie, that encourages the aquarium marine animal trade? Not trying to troll, please understand. I'm curious if Disney is doing something that I'm unaware of.

Of course we haven't seen the movie yet, as it hasn't been released. Yet, if we take anything away from the previous movie in 2003, it will be that Disney will depict humans as evil. Nor do I believe Disney will encourage aquarium ownership, probably just the opposite as they did in 2003 within the story. The problem is the unintended consequence and the fact that Disney is either ignorant or unwilling to take a little responsibility here to inform it's customers why running out and buying little Johnny and Jill a Blue Hippo Tang is a bad idea. In the 2003 film, the fish were in an aquarium, but that didn't change anyone's mind. I think people need to understand why they shouldn't buy them. Basically, they need to be told NOT to buy them. The fish store has to make money, most will be happy to sell you a fish regardless what happens after the sale. So Disney could have stepped up to the plate. Much like what was done for the Ninja Turtle movie.

So again, just like in 2003 where there was a huge spike in demand for clownfish, there will be a huge spike in demand for Hippo Tangs if someone doesn't spread the word. Of course the difference is we could supply the demand for clownfish through captive breeding; however, while we will be able to captive breed hippo tangs for retail in the future, we can't do it on a large scale right now. The market is going to put extreme demand for the species in an unregulated region with very little laws and sustainability practices. Therefore, collectors are going to put extreme pressure on their populations if we don't convince people to not buy them.

Actually, I should have given Disney more credit, as it seems they ARE trying to avoid conveying anything about the aquarium marine animal trade:

"Instead of into the open ocean, this quest leads us into the controlled environment of the fictional Marine Life Institute, a coastal Californian preserve where injured aquatic creatures are rehabilitated and returned to the wild, and Sigourney Weaver's calming voice booms periodically from loudspeakers. (The setting was reportedly shifted from a more conventional aquarium after Pixar's writers watched the documentary Blackfish.)"

Film review: Is Finding Dory a worthy sequel?

I remember my son watching finding nemo and the first thing he said was (and this really shocked me) - fish belong in the sea. when i learn to dive like you mommy i want to see nemo in the sea.

i guess all my teachings wore off on him and i did do something right.

Similar controversy after the release of 101 Dalmatians. Dalmatians don't make great kid pets, and there was a movement to try and avoid this. I believe Disney was quiet then, too.

and after the release of ET, everyone ran out and got a....

oh wait, those aren't real....

...and wasn't made by Disney...so there you are...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom