Plura, Norway: Body recovery operation started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think one dive was made...

Just in case you have problems comprehending Mark Dougherty speaking English in the link I have provided previously (and pointed out explicitly that it's Mark Dougherty speaking, and that he speaks English, BTW beautifully comprehensible), I'll provide a transcript of the relevant details:
@1min 20sec:
Mark Dougherty:
Despite repeated attempts by the divers, they were unable to free him from the restriction

@8min 46sec:
Mark Dougherty:
We made six man-dives in total

Cite

Just Asking Questions, are we?

No, there was multiple dives. DivES. Plural.

Since you're so good at assumptions, why don't you answer this question: Diving was commenced on the 21st. There's a cite for that upthread. The press conference about aborting the operation was on the 25th. There's a cite for that, too, upthread. If there was only one dive, how did the whole recovery team spend the time from the 22nd to the 24th? Twiddling their fingers with their thumbs up their a$$es?

BTW, you might find answers to some of those questions you're Just Asking if you, you know, read the cites that have been provided and, you know, listened to what Mark Dougherty says in the videos that have been explicitly pointed out in the text upthread.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I don't know if they recovered the dive computer, did they?

Did they reach both dead divers, or only one, and if so were two dive computers recovered, or one, or none?

Did they reach both dead divers, or only one
Gah. Read the effing links. Or do you need me to spoon-feed you every little tidbit of data you choose to disregard and speculate around?

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer to the question you've quoted...
--

Gah. Read the effing links. Or do you need me to spoon-feed you every little tidbit of data you choose to disregard and speculate around?

BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer to the question you've quoted...
--

Been in the forest near Belarus and Ukraine the past few days training and just got back last night... apologies for my error (amended post to "at least one dive").

What is the difference of between these alternatives which you need to care of so much about in here?

Most importantly, the researchers can used dive computers of survivors and reports of events.

Accident investigation requires gathering all available data and information, and electronic logs of all equipment of the dead and the living should be examined and cross-examined and cross-referenced.

Am I doing good so far avoiding mention of the forbidden "r" word?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How do you know?

well I have read several things about the dive, about David as well as watching several videos. So here are a few:

"Shaw only took up the sport in 1999 with his son Steven during a holiday in the Philippines, but his progress was lightning fast.'To be where no other man has explored before is the ultimate,' Shaw wrote on deepcave.com, his website. 'To achieve that goal, greater depths are becoming a must.'

In October 2004, 10 years after Dreyer's death, Shirley and Shaw dived into Bushman's Hole. With Shirley acting as his deep support diver, Shaw reached the cave floor, 270m underwater (the floor then slopes downwards, which is why no one knows its exact depth), setting four world records for deep diving in the process. As he swam out over the silt, his torch illuminated a body. 'There was no shock on my part, but rather a decision-making process of what to do,' Shaw wrote later in his dive report. 'The decision was easy. I needed to try to make a recovery of the body.'

Keep in mind that he only had four years since OW.

Abandoning his plan to venture any deeper, Shaw attempted to lift Dreyer's remains, but the effort proved futile - the corpse, embedded in silt, was wedged firmly to the cave floor - and was in any case terribly dangerous at such depths. As Shaw had already exceeded the maximum time he had allowed himself on the bottom, he thought, 'This is not wise,' and turned back for the surface. More than nine hours of staggered decompression later, he emerged from the water - and immediately told Shirley that he wanted to go back as soon as possible.

Shirley says. 'It's difficult to put a land person's perspective on it. We weren't thinking that the dive was something threatening. It was something we were happy doing.

Ghosts of the abyss: the story of Don Shirley and Dave Shaw - Telegraph

Documentary about great cave diver Dave Shaw and his last dive - www.ScubaTraveller.com - YouTube watch around 09:25

If you need more evidence, then I'll provide more.

well I have read several things about the dive, about David as well as watching several videos. So here are a few:
If you need more evidence, then I'll provide more.
I had read most of the reports.
As far as I am concerned Mrs. Dreyer's plays a very influential role in getting Dave Shaw to take up the challenge.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The story of David Shaw's attempt to recover the body of Deon Dreyer is extremely fascinating, and a book about it, Bringing up the Dead, is one of the best scuba-related books I have ever read. The topic is, however, off topic in this thread. If you want to discuss it, please start a new thread elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom