Plus Size Ladies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madrone

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Same old story can't find a wetsuit. My friend just got certified for diving and she is coming with me on my next dive trip. We need a wetsuit for her. 5'6 218 lbs, Henderson says on their website they have up to size 22, yet no one has them. Has anyone discovered a curvy girl wetsuit that they love? I have read all the threads on the board and nothing new lately. Any help would be appreciated. We have some time so willing to search about. :eyebrow: cheers

pincale will custom make a suit for her with her measurments for a minimal charge.

Custom is the way to go. the likes of Atlan, Wetwear and Horizon an put her into a suit that's made to measure in the price range of a good off the rack suit. There's simply no better solution. This beats a stretch suit in every way. More here.

Pete

check bare, they have a good size range, I know women of similar dimensions that wear them. I do to.

FWIW I wear a bare 12t when I wear a 8/10 in street clothes. I know the ladies I am aware of wear bare and probably don't fit the standard size chart either. Can she try anything on?

Try dealing directly with Henderson, but the best route is to go for a custom made suit. Nothing else is likely to fit nearly as well. This is even more relevant if you're going to do cold water diving.

I would stick to the Henderson Hyperstretch rather than go custom. Just because it isn't in stock doesn't mean they can't get it.

+1 on the custom suits. No one makes a stock size "jumbo shrimp". For some reason, bigger suits also mean taller.

I had Hendersons which then I had altered to make them more comfortable.

Last October Horizon Horizon Wetsuits Scuba Diving Surfing Jet Skiing Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking (aka New Wave) wetsuits made my 7mm suit. NewWave's turnaround time is great (Tell Theresa I said hi).

This summer I had a 3mm suit made by Wetwear. Wetwear offers some great unique features in their suits like long arm/leg zippers and diagonal backzips that make their suits very easy on/off. Great suit worth the wait (be patient with their turnaround). http://www.wetwear.com/

If you are not a stock size (few folks really are), then a custom suit is definitely worth it and the cost is similar to high-end brand name suits.

+1 on the custom suits. No one makes a stock size "jumbo shrimp". For some reason, bigger suits also mean taller.

I had Henderson's which then I had altered to make them more comfortable.

Last October Horizon Horizon Wetsuits Scuba Diving Surfing Jet Skiing Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking (aka New Wave) wetsuits made my 7mm suit. NewWave's turnaround time is great (Tell Theresa I said hi).

This summer I had a 3mm suit made by Wetwear. Wetwear offers some great unique features in their suits like long arm/leg zippers and diagonal backzips that make their suits very easy on/off. Great suit worth the wait (be patient with their turnaround). http://www.wetwear.com/

If you are not a stock size (few folks really are), then a custom suit is definitely worth it and the cost is similar to high-end brand name suits.

The Wetwear longer leg and arm zippers are fully gusseted to minimize cold water infiltration. They also make the suit much easier to get on and off.

The neoprene that Wetwear uses is top grade neoprene.

From personal experience....:D. Try Henderson Hyperstretch size 14 or Bare Elastek size 14+. The Hyperstretch, which I wore until it got too large did have longer length to the legs and arms which I did not need and just turned up. However, I found the Hyperstretch did exactly that...stretch, and it pretty well stayed stretched. The Bare Elastek, which I have now and like better is a little shorter and fits well. (I am 5' 5 ") In my opinion, I like the stretch to the Bare better as it gives where it needs to, and stays snugger at the right places. Since I lost weight, I also think the Bare is more adaptable for body weight changes as it "gives" yet returns to the original and more conforming size.

Happy Diving !!!

Back
Top Bottom