pneumatic speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrongway

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Used a pneumatic speargun yesterday for the first time. Though I really liked the lightweight and size of the gun, I found it almost impossible to reload it myself so my buddy had to do it for me. Anyone recommend a female friendly gun? A great day in the gulf nonetheless :)

ajenfish.jpg

Great looking stringer of fish!

May have a better more experienced response if posting on SpearBoard Florida section or hunting section on this board. On SpearBoard California section Kelsea uses what looks like a 48" or so Riffe with two 1/2" bands.
http://www.speargun.com/

For the price a railgun from Mako Spearguns may be the ticket with 2 lighter bands.
http://www.makospearguns.com/why_railguns.php

Best to get advice from Spearos in your area.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that if you desired to stay with the pneumatic maybe try a different way of loading.

There is pneumatic section on DeeperBlue which may be able to help.
Spearguns & Accessories

Also there may be a loader available that will make it easier.

I sometimes just push against a rock. I am careful to push straight and not bend the spear shaft. It may be a good idea to purchase a complete spare shaft in case one gets lost or bent.

Have you tried the regular guns that you load with bands. The benefit of those for people that may lack upper body strength (like me at certain times) is that you can regulate how much effort you need in order to load it.

It is also important to keep in mind that unless you have the perfect kill shot, you need to be able to handle the fish to dispatch it efficiently.

When you load a gun with soft bands (easier to load) the shot will be weaker and won't do a thing to a big/strong fish but will do fine to a smaller one. Using brand new bands takes a lot more force to load and in turn the spear takes off with greater velocity and well, you know, penetrates a big fat fish that may give you the fight of your life if your spear is tethered, or may go on badly injured to become fish food if your spear is free. Neither one of those options are pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom