Pneumothorax and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Sorry to hear that, UL.

From what I know of this board, you're bound to find good information, contacts, and pointers. And if you're a member of DAN, I've found them to be very helpful in suggesting local diving medicine resources.

Let us know how things go, will you? And any lessons you've learned along the way!

I very much need your help. 3 years ago I had a pneumothorax while sleeping. I woke in the night and felt pain in my chest. With no insurance I waited two weeks for coverage then went in to see a doctor. I thought It was my heart but after a x-ray I found out my lung was 3/4 deflated. The doctor said It would heal on it's own and since then have had no problems. He never told me the cause other then people like myself (being a tall and skinny male) are the most commen to have them. I went diving for the first time in England (just in a pool) and it seemed ok. The problem is that I've signed up for a scuba coarse and have began to research my problem more. Almost everyone I talk to says to forget diving.
-How dangerous would it be if I only planned on going to a max depth of 20 meters?
- If somthing did go wrong would it be safer to do a emergency asent other then deal with a tension pneumothorax?
- What about carring an IV needle to releve pressure if a tension pneumo did happen? and what is the proceedure?
- Do you know of people that dive like myself?
- What are the statisics of people diving with these problems and haveing problems?

ANY info is much appreciated. Thanks so much -Rye

You should contact DAN, the Diver's Alert Network. They do research on diving and over many educational programs as well as provide emergency assistance. The also have hot line for non-emergency medical questions. The number is 1-800-446-2671 or you can check their website for an email address, http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

Here is a link to small article from DAN on pneumothorax and diving: ClickMe

After reading that, go ask your doctor not this message board. There are a lot of good people here, however asking your doctor (preferably one familiar with diving/dive medicine) is the best bet. Good luck!

-- Matt

UniLung:
-How dangerous would it be if I only planned on going to a max depth of 20 meters?
- If somthing did go wrong would it be safer to do a emergency asent other then deal with a tension pneumothorax?
- What about carring an IV needle to releve pressure if a tension pneumo did happen? and what is the proceedure?
- Do you know of people that dive like myself?
- What are the statisics of people diving with these problems and haveing problems?

ANY info is much appreciated. Thanks so much -Rye

Unilung, you already seem to know the dangers of sustaining a pneumothorax at depth, so I won't go into that.

The main issue with spontaneous pneumothorax is risk of recurrence. This is estimated as between 25% and 50%. Diving's great fun but it's not worth dying for.

Shallow diving doesn't work because the greatest pressure differential (and thus potential for expansion of trapped gas) occurs near the surface.

Sorry to have to say it, but I think diving is off the menu for you.

Dr.,
I know what a pneumothorax is and I've been to DAN. My question is, If I have a SPT underwater what or how should it be treated? Would a needle work to releive pressure underwater or would it cause downing?If It could work how would it be preformed. I plan to never dive below 20 meters. If I felt a pneumothorax starting should I asend ASAP to keep more air from entering my cavity? Would an emergency asent overweigh the risks of a tension pneumothorax. Could you please help, I'm writing because like most Americans I don't have Med. Insurance. I'm not looking for advice just answers if you have them. Thanks-Rye

you get this the same way you would get an AGE.
this has nothing to do with deepth at all
never hold your breath on asent

unilung in your other posts you brougt up the point
that 3 years ago you got pneumothorax while sleeping.
with a lung injury like this what doctor claimed you
fit for diving.

If you want something more detailed than the DAN link above (which is good), check out the "British Thoracic Society Guidelines on respiratory aspects of fitness for diving" in Thorax 2003; 58:3-13.

Basically, since you've had a spontaneous pneumothorax, the bottom line is that you shouldn't be diving. The BTS guidelines suggest that you may be able to dive if you've had a bilateral pleurectmoy, but good luck finding a surgeon willing to do that given that you've only had one spontaneous pneumothorax...nor would I want that done unless I absolutely had to. As much as I love diving, I'd give it up before trying to convince somebody to rip the pleura away from my lungs.

Oh, and regarding your questions of dealing with tension pneumo at depth & whether to carry a needle. Ummm, (1) don't dive, (2) don't carry a needle.

Jim

p.s. If the link doesn't work for you for some reason, PM me with your email address & I'll email the .pdf (313kb).

Back
Top Bottom