PNG questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I've been reading a lot of posts on PNG and am wondering about the crime there. I've read some posts that it can be a pretty dangerous place. Does anyone know if this is just Port Moseby or the whole area?
Also does anyone have suggestions for a good diving resort. We want to do a liveaboard but it might be out of budget between the boat fare and airfare. We will be going in Oct

lemurs2:
So I've been reading a lot of posts on PNG and am wondering about the crime there. I've read some posts that it can be a pretty dangerous place. Does anyone know if this is just Port Moseby or the whole area?
Also does anyone have suggestions for a good diving resort. We want to do a liveaboard but it might be out of budget between the boat fare and airfare. We will be going in Oct

Hello lemurs2, the crime thing is not that big a deal. It's a big city problem, mostly Moresby and Lae. But there really is no reason to go out late after dark anyway. Most of the good restaurants are near the hotels, just ask the hotel what the smart procedure is for getting dinner, usually a taxi, which will wait for you or come back at an appointed time. I've walked around Moresby some in the daytime, no problems. But it's not a great walking city, you're better off with wheels. I've spent time walking around in Madang, mostly friendly people, some kids making fun of my red hair, whatever. Took PMVs in the country around Madang and met nothing but nice folks. Pretty funny having a friendly conversation with someone who's mouths were brimming over with blood red froth from the beetle nut chew...

In the small towns and the bush everybody is either very friendly or shy. I have never been up in the highlands and I hear that people can be a little aggressive there. But I'd bet it's like any place in that part of the world-be polite, don't make a nuisance of yourself and you'll get along fine.

You should not miss out on the liveaboard option, you will get more diving per day and a better value for the expensive plane fare. If you do the resort thing, Tawali sounds very nice. I liked Loloata and Walindi just fine, diving was very good. The food was much better on the Golden Dawn though. If you go to Kavieng, you will have some choices of hotels and dive ops. Scubaventures seems like the best dive op and they can recomend a good hotel.

The diving is great all over PNG, I'm sure you'll have a great trip wherever you go. -Andy

I haven't been, but I leave tomorrow for Australia and 6 nights at Tawali in Milne Bay. I did a lot of research into land options (not enough time for a LOB). None of them are inexpensive. I'll be sure to post as soon as I get back in early March.

We have been to Loloata, we were picked up at the airport and taken across town to a dock where we took a small boat to Loloata. Traveling through town (Port Moresby) one can see that it could become a dangerous place after dark, it would not be a place that you would roam about walking through out anywhere in the city.
Also, we dove on Star Dancer and stayed at Walindi in New Britain. We visited the town of Kimbe. I would feel safe in this small town but even though I say safe, there may be areas even in Kimbe that could be dangerous to visit. Inside of all the stores even Kimbe there are police men and security guards.

The local art store at Kimbe
File00143.jpg

Inside the store
File00142.jpg

If you are staying at Loloata, you are on a very small Island and you can walk around it, I believe you'd feel safe at night as the Island is a 15 minute boat ride from the mainland. At the resort there are Walabies running free. There is also a small collection of animals on site, such as tree kangaroos, and parrots.

lemurs2:
So I've been reading a lot of posts on PNG and am wondering about the crime there. I've read some posts that it can be a pretty dangerous place. Does anyone know if this is just Port Moseby or the whole area?..

Hi
I agree with the above, take local advice and use the hotel mini vans or taxis after dark.. I spent two weeks in the highlands and had nothing but hospitality and good times. Most of the stuff that does ocur is local on local and not directed at tourists at all. And who of us does not live in a city with areas which are best not frequented on your own after dark?
Alison

Back
Top Bottom