Poachers caught with 101 Dead Sea Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I just want to share a news item I read on the Sept. 6th online issue of the Philippine Star Newspaper. I don't know how to post pictures here but I think its better not to show the picture because it will make your blood boil.

Here's the caption found under the photo:
"BLATANT POACHING: World Wildlife Fund-Philippines’ RJ de la Calzada measures one of 101 dead Hawksbill turtles seized from alleged Vietnamese poachers off northern Palawan Aug. 29. AP"

For those who want to see the photo, here is the link to the online version of the Philippine Star: Philstar.com: Home. Note: The photo may be gone tomorrow or when the Sunday edition becomes available online.

If I were the Philippine Navy, I would just blast poachers, illegal fishermen both locals or foreigners out of the water 'til kingdom come.

Ahh, another sad day for Philippine marine life.

What a shame. Pardon my ignorance, but what is done with so many turtles?

front.jpg

What a shame. Pardon my ignorance, but what is done with so many turtles?

Here's something I picked-up from Wikipedia:
Marine turtles are caught worldwide, despite it being illegal to hunt most of the species in many countries.[8][9]

A great deal of intentional marine turtle harvests worldwide are for the food industry. In many parts of the world, the flesh of sea turtles are considered fine dining. Texts dating back to the fifth century B.C. describes sea turtles as exotic delicacies in ancient China.[10] Historically, many coastal communities around the world have depended on sea turtles as a source of protein. Several turtles could be harvested at once and kept alive on their backs for months until needed. The skin of the flippers are also prized for use as shoes and assorted leather-goods.

To a much lesser extent, specific species of marine turtles are targeted not for their flesh, but for their shells. Tortoiseshell, a traditional decorative ornamental material used in Japan and China, is derived from the carapace scutes of the hawksbill turtle.[11][12] The use of marine turtle shells for decorative purposes is by no means limited to the orient. Since ancient times, the shells of sea turtles (primarily the hawksbill) have been used by the ancient Greeks and ancient Romans. Various articles and ornaments used by the elite of these societies, such as combs and brushes, were from processed turtle scutes.[13] The Moche people of ancient Peru worshipped the sea and its animals. They often depicted sea turtles in their art.[14]

What a sad crime........OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

What a sad crime........OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

Who's?

If I was a Hindu and said something like
"Killing cows,,, what a sad crime........OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!"
what would you think and how would you feel?
I'm not advocating turtle hunting, but you could have shown some
consideration/respect for their culture.

What's needed is not needless:eyebrow: beheading, but education.

Let's keep cool, and stay ahead of those criminals.:wink:

Morons, Morons, Morons.....................

I hope PI has a strong punishment for this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom