Poachers caught with 101 Dead Sea Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are off the mark buddy. The religious implications are not there......what are you talking about? We are sick and tired of other countries coming to the Philippines and stealing from our oceans, ruining our marine life, and just being abusive in general. Pound sand pal. We have had enough. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS AND THEIR TITIS!!!! How about that? Feed them to the sharks! Touchy feely "OH so sorry"......makes me sick! Let the Vietnamese rape their own oceans!! Get out of my face with your bleeding heart, cry baby, BS!!!

<-------:dork2:

If I was a Hindu and said something like
"Killing cows,,, what a sad crime........OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!"
what would you think and how would you feel?
I'm not advocating turtle hunting, but you could have shown some
consideration/respect for their culture.

What's needed is not needless:eyebrow: beheading, but education.

Let's keep cool, and stay ahead of those criminals.:wink:

Last edited:
Well spoken BabyD
Some people do not understand how terrible their crime is to our beautiful Philippines. I am proud to have people like you live in our country as a respectful and considerate guest. I know many persons here write bad about your comments but they do not see your thought to always take care of the people. Great job and keep writing your to-the-point comments. We like them.

We see this time after time, but coming all the way from Vietnam and basically invading another countries territory and killing its wildlife is just too much.

A stiff jail sentence would be the least I would think, but what is too keep their boat from get blasted out of the water. Enough is enough. There will soon be nothing left.

You are off the mark buddy. The religious implications are not there......what are you talking about? We are sick and tired of other countries coming to the Philippines and stealing from our oceans, ruining our marine life, and just being abusive in general. Pound sand pal. We have had enough. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS AND THEIR TITIS!!!! How about that? Feed them to the sharks! Touchy feely "OH so sorry"......makes me sick! Let the Vietnamese rape their own oceans!! Get out of my face with your bleeding heart, cry baby, BS!!!

I spent several days in your beutiful country!!!

This killing makes me very sick.

Awesome post BabyD !!!!!

As a follow-up to my original post, here is a press release from the WWF website. The Philippine Star newspaper should have published an article about this incident. This one from WWF will let us know the whole story and the course of action taken against these poachers. At least, have some kind of closure on this incident...

WWF - Foreign poachers cost Philippines another 100 turtles

Foreign poachers cost Philippines another 100 turtles
04 Sep 2008
Foreign poaching of Philippine marine life has flared up as an issue again following the discovery of more than 100 dead Hawksbill turtles aboard a Vietnamese fishing vessel apprehended near Malampaya.

The fishing boat&#8217;s 13-man crew flooded their vessel as a Filipino gunboat approached them near the country&#8217;s main gas field, around 80km off the coast of Palawan Island in the South China Sea. A total of 101 Hawksbill turtles were found drowned in the vessel&#8217;s cargo hold.

Resting sea turtles, which grow up to a metre in length and can weigh as much as 80kg, can remain submerged for up to two hours but stressed individuals must resurface every few minutes.

&#8220;Again and again, foreign nationals have encroached upon Philippine waters to plunder our nation&#8217;s dwindling marine resources,&#8221; said WWF Project Manager RJ de la Calzada. &#8220;It disheartens us to find the animals we work so hard to conserve slaughtered on a wholesale basis.&#8221;

Distinguished from other sea turtles by a hooked beak and heavily-serrated carapace, the Hawksbill has for millennia been hunted for food and tortoiseshell, a material used as far back as the ancient Greek and Roman times to fashion jewellery, combs and brushes.

The Hawksbill turtle is protected under Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), which prohibits all international trade. It is also now classified by the IUCN as Critically Endangered, the highest risk rating for a living animal. Under Philippine and international law it is illegal to capture and kill sea turtles and to trade in turtle by-products.

The 13 Vietnamese poachers are just the latest in a long line to have intruded upon Philippine waters, violating both local and international laws. Last year over 200 Green turtles were retrieved in the Sulu Sea and two years ago 359 CITES-protected Napoleon or Humphead Wrasse were seized.

&#8220;The list goes on and not one case has ever led to a serious conviction,&#8221; said De la Calzada. &#8220;The Vietnamese poachers were not the first and they will certainly not be the last.&#8221;

Amid fears that justice might again prove elusive, WWF is acting as a watchdog to ensure that charges are pressed in this case. The 13 Vietnamese crewmen will be charged with violating the Philippine Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act, penalties for which can include a fine of up to one million Philipppine pesos (US$21,500) coupled with a six-year jail term.

&#8220;WWF condemns such blatant poaching of internationally-protected marine life and hopes that the Philippine government will finally have the resolve to dispense due justice against foreign poachers who disregard both local and international laws,&#8221; said WWF-Philippines president Dave Valdes.

For further information please contact: Gregg Yan, Information, Education and Communications Officer, WWF-Philippines. Tel: +63 2 920 7923/26/31. Fax: +63 2 426 3927. Email: gyan@wwf.org.ph

I think the charges seem fair enough but, in addition, the goverment should impound the poachers' vessel and demolish it (and use it as an artificial reef. Send the demolition bill to the registered owner of the vessel. Use the proceeds to arm the Philippine Coast Guard with modern gear and vessels so they can better safeguard areas within our waters). I say, the next time unidentified foreign vessels are caught poaching or illegally fishing in Philippine waters, the Philippine government should take a really tough stand to send a message out there that it may be a small and weak country but we carry a big stick and we will use it.

Last edited:
I say, the next time unidentified foreign vessels are caught poaching or illegally fishing in Philippine waters, the Philippine government should take a really tough stand to send a message out there that it may be a small and weak country but we carry a big stick and we will use it.

I don't think it will scare off the international poachers. They know there is little to no effective Philippine Coast Guard capable of patrolling the huge expanse of water in the country. The odds are sadly in the poacher's favor.

Joe C, thanks for the article link.

BTW, does anyone know what ever happened in the end with those Chinese poachers who got caught with the 1,000's of Napoleon wrasses in 2007? Did they go to jail, did their boat get siezed by the gov't. I vaguely remember that the Chinese gov't was leaning on Manila to release the crew.

Last thing I remember in the end was some politicos taking advantage of the return of the wrasses to Tubattaha Reef for some campaign PR photos...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom