Pointer for muck diving in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poifromthebag

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to get my first pointer tool. I've never needed one before, but I'm looking into going on the local dive shop trip to Atlantis Beach Resort Dumaguete (Atlantis Dumaguete, Dauin), and I've never done muck diving. Since I'm buying one, I'd like to draw on the wisdom of the crowd to understand what things to consider. I know it's just a stick, but whatever.

1. what material? stainless steel, aluminum, titanium?
  2. how long?
  3. need a knob or handle?
  4. what kind of leesh?

While I try not to touch the reef (non-muck), sometimes it could be useful to stabilize (like when I'm buoyancy rusty, or just plain excited). Also since reef hooks are often not allowed.

For using it only to stay off a sand or silt bottom, I’d say any will do, unless you want it to double as a monopod, light caddy, etc. I’m sure many with more experience than I will have better ideas, but to me—Most important for use in current, it has to be stainless or Ti—aluminum will bend, just when you need it to be strong. I think a stout split ring which can be attached to a sturdy retractor clipped to a ring on your vest is better than a leash on your wrist. In that configuration I can reliably find the stick, get it in a hole or crack, and either keep a hand on it or let the retractor spool out and deal with the camera or gear issues, or just fly and watch the world go by—a lot easier than a hook in moderate conditions, although not a substitute in a real ripper. If you have it on a leash around your wrist in current, I think you risk not being able to easily extricate yourself, or losing it. Lengths are pretty standard.

I use mine to stabilize myself in currents while focusing or trying to find macro critters.

Why do you want or feel that you need one?
The initial motivation is (as you mention) stabilization; particularly in muck diving.
I'm used to either sandy bottoms, or a rocky pinch point but it doesn't sound like that's possible in much diving.

For using it only to stay off a sand or silt bottom, I’d say any will do, unless you want it to double as a monopod, light caddy, etc. I’m sure many with more experience than I will have better ideas, but to me—Most important for use in current, it has to be stainless or Ti—aluminum will bend, just when you need it to be strong. I think a stout split ring which can be attached to a sturdy retractor clipped to a ring on your vest is better than a leash on your wrist. In that configuration I can reliably find the stick, get it in a hole or crack, and either keep a hand on it or let the retractor spool out and deal with the camera or gear issues, or just fly and watch the world go by—a lot easier than a hook in moderate conditions, although not a substitute in a real ripper. If you have it on a leash around your wrist in current, I think you risk not being able to easily extricate yourself, or losing it. Lengths are pretty standard.
Al bending... yes that's the kind of info I need. Thanks.

I like the retractor idea.

Back
Top Bottom