Polar Pro Red Filter vs UR/PRO Analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes please
You should also consider how to use a filter as opposed to blame it
You point the camera upwards frequently that will create a hue you need to be pointing horizontal or downwards
You can send me the raw files if you like on dropbox but don't bother about 85 feet there is no red light left there, the 15 feet would be good

Ill dig up the videos today, but I do not have any at 15 feet I can assure you of that..I do have some at 50-60 though, I will post those

it was a typo 50 feet is good don't need youtube you can push them on dropbox
Besides your shallow dive is not bad and has no specific magenta tint or not more than other shallow dives with URPRO that instead have a yellow hue
Have you bought another filter yet?

it was a typo 50 feet is good don't need youtube you can push them on dropbox
Besides your shallow dive is not bad and has no specific magenta tint or not more than other shallow dives with URPRO that instead have a yellow hue
Have you bought another filter yet?

No I haven't bought another filter yet..we will be in Cozumel in April, so if I'm using this one wrong, I need to know, or will need to buy another one..

EDIT: and what shallow dive....I haven't posted any video yet that Im aware of..:)

So I have looked at the file Reef.Mp4 and looks perfectly fine has a tiny purple tinge but overall is good
I wonder why you shot it at 720p60 as that makes it more noisy?
So what is exactly the issue with this one?
There is a bubble trapped between lens and filter on the right side, clearly not a scratch

So I have looked at the file Reef.Mp4 and looks perfectly fine has a tiny purple tinge but overall is good
I wonder why you shot it at 720p60 as that makes it more noisy?
So what is exactly the issue with this one?
Well the purple tinge is whats annoying me....is that something that is normal?....how can I reduce or stop it entirely?

as for the shooting it at 720 60 FPS...what would be your recommendation......I'm not an expert by any means and always willing to learn

I should point out that my technical vocabulary for cameras is about 25 years behind that of Marty or Interceptor but I speak in user terms only.

To this date I recorded about 200 hours worth of video footage. 90% with red lens filter so I know what to look for in a video and determine if video works for me. I will not complain about color temperature of it being 2500K vs 2600K because it is barely persievable so I look at the feel of the video and go by what I think is right.

After watching Reef.mp4 I noticed very minimal vignetting... nothing worth crying a river about. Video needs post edit color adjustment through brightness and contrast. My corel auto white balance does wonders to my footage so this video in its raw format is actually pretty good, heck it looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Reef1.mp4 is where we see some shenanigans but do not be discouraged because there is a lot of good material in video. Condemning a filter entirely for 20% of bad footage is probably not the best idea. Yeppers filter does struggle with sunlight. You can see red tint. In lamens terms there is too much sun light for it to handle. I was a little surprised to see red tint under shaded parts of reef... were you using a flashlight? If so that would explain why underside of reef appeared more red than it should... it should be dark brown-ish.

I do see quite a bit of yellow in 2nd video but that could be adjusted in a video editing software.

Based on (if this is a raw footage) raw footage that I saw I give this red lens filter a 7/10 which is a pretty darn good grade if you ask me. By comparison Backscatter filter gets a 7/10 and SRP gets 8/10

It is tiny as I mentioned in my post it is due to the half magenta filter in the polarpro
What edit program do you use? Do you use cineforum at all?

Yes, I have Cineform, but I have not yet run any of these videos through.....nor have I really used that program much.....I also have Lightroom 4 which Im more familiar with, however I use that mostly for stills

EDIT: yarik83, thanks for the feedback..yes, this is all raw footage and no light was used....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom