poll -how many divers collect game ?

Do you collect game?

• Never-I'm happy interacting with the fish!

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Sometimes-but only what I can eat

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • As much as possible

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I enjoy killing marine life

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
I would be interested to know the percentage of divers that collect game and the percentage of divers which just enjoy interacting with the underwater world without feeling the need to kill everything they come across !
On my dive I was happy to be buddied up with a petite attractive girl and I pointed out to her a large flatfish the next thing I knew to my horror there was a large knife sticking out of its head, she handed me the knife and I tried to put it out of its misery by stabbing it several times in the head but failed to kill it !
How are you supposed to kill a fish humanely under the water ?
I spent the rest of the dive trying to hide life from her including a very large lobster!
!

Do you have her number? Its hard to find a girl like that! LMAO:lol:

FredT- I agree with you that major impacts are caused by the commercial fishing industry both on target species and those considered "bycatch" (not to mention the destruction of bottom habitat in bottom trawling).

However divers can have serious impacts on target species if they are restricted to divable depths and not common to begin with or slow reproducers.

I look back to what our local waters were like 35 years ago vs today. Although the changes were wrought by commercial and sport types alike, not to mention other human-induced factors, divers were a contributing factor to the equation. Sometimes when populations are greatly reduced by commercial exploitation first, subsequent harvesting by sport divers can be a serious impact on recovering populations.

Dr. Bill

Born and raised in Orange County and I have seen the offshore environs ( San Pedro to Imperial Beach) cycle from vibrant and full of fish to a moonscape to a vibrant again. It seems the norm after living here for the past 40 plus. I agree pollution and other man made issues cause problems but it seems the deep blue always comes back. Kelp everywhere to kelp gone to kelp back again. The islands (Catalina, San Clemente, Channel) are always the same...busting at the seams with everything.

Well, from what I've seen and heard talking to some of the long time divers here, the bug population has been depleted. You still see bugs, but most of the old school divers I've talked to, (guys that dove here in the fiftys and sixties), say the while you still see bugs, you don't see the size that you used to. Now, to be fair, they say that they are part of the problem, back when they would catch 50 7-10 pound bugs per day, each! Beach diving!

I agree, the commercial fisheries are the biggest part of the problem, but as long as there is a market, people will be willing to work in an industry that supplies that demand. How will a commercial fisherman pay his bills? The restrauntuer who buys the fish?

I have hunted but only once. It was fun but it's not something I need to do. I think I'd do it again if I felt like it.

Soggy once bubbled...

Yeah...the lobsters don't make any noise when I drop them in a pot of boiling water but I'm pretty darn sure they don't like it. :)

Now that is really sick ! I think anybody that does that has seriously got a brain disorder , how would you like to be thrown into a pot of boiling water until you die :rolleyes:
have you ever heard of "karma" ?
I hope you come back as a lobster several times and are boiled alive , you could at least bash it over the head with large hammer first / chop its head off/ , have you no sense of morality :bonk:

Spectre once bubbled...

I get nipped by their claws at least once a season. That's enough re-affirmation to keep throwing them in the steam pot. The one that nips me gets tossed into the pot of steam while it heats up.

And your even worse !!!!!
Sicko :rolleyes:

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
I hope you come back as a lobster several times and are boiled alive , you could at least bash it over the head with large hammer first / chop its head off/ , have you no sense of morality :bonk:

If you can explain to me how to chop off the head of an American Lobster, I'd be glad to do it. Besides, I don't drop them *in* boiling water, just *over* it.

I'm quite certain the death they would experience in the wild isn't much more pleasant.

Where do lobster inhabit?

I know the spiney variety inhabit the waters off Southern Cal.

And I know the pincer variety inhabit New England.

Does anyone else in the world get to partake of this godly food in their coasts besides Southern Cal and New England?

Soggy once bubbled...

If you can explain to me how to chop off the head of an American Lobster, I'd be glad to do it. Besides, I don't drop them *in* boiling water, just *over* it.
:bonk:
I'm quite certain the death they would experience in the wild isn't much more pleasant.

How about a meat cleaver, you could chop someone's hand off with one of those I'm sure it would work on a lobster, or failing that use an axe in the garden!
Some people apparently pierce the lobster's head to kill it before boiling,i.e using the point on a lobster hook! Not sure if this works
but there's got to be a more humane way than boiling it alive, can you imagine the agony that it must go through before it finally dies, gee it must be like being burned at the stake!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by " Besides, I don't drop them *in* boiling water, just *over* it."
:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom