poll -how many divers collect game ?

Do you collect game?

• Never-I'm happy interacting with the fish!

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Sometimes-but only what I can eat

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • As much as possible

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I enjoy killing marine life

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
Some people apparently pierce the lobster's head to kill it before boiling,i.e using the point on a lobster hook! Not sure if this works but there's got to be a more humane way than boiling it alive, can you imagine the agony that it must go through before it finally dies, gee it must be like being burned at the stake!

What is a lobster hook?

Their heads have very thick shells. I'm not sure how one would "chop it off." Have you ever seen a lobster? I've heard some people cleave them from underneath and split them in half for grilling, but this doesn't always kill them.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by " Besides, I don't drop them *in* boiling water, just *over* it."
:confused:

They are steamed rather than boiled. Better flavor, more tender meat.

Soggy once bubbled...

What is a lobster hook?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
a long piece of metal with a bend in the end for coaxing lobsters out of their hiding place, the end with a handle has concealed a sharp point for stabbing things!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Their heads have very thick shells. I'm not sure how one would "chop it off." Have you ever seen a lobster? I've heard some people cleave them from underneath and split them in half for grilling, but this doesn't always kill them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes I have seen a lobster, have you ever seen a butcher's meat cleaver , they will chop through bone, I'm sure they would make light work of a lobster head !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are steamed rather than boiled. Better flavor, more tender meat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see, so you steam them to death rather than boil them to death
, do you really think that is any kinder ?

Well I hope when you're eating it and enjoying the taste you think that it was worth the suffering that the poor thing went through! :confused:

I see, so you steam them to death rather than boil them to death, do you really think that is any kinder ?

Nope, it isn't any kinder, but I doubt it's any worse.

Well I hope when you're eating it and enjoying the taste you think that it was worth the suffering that the poor thing went through! :confused:

Mmmmm.....Tasty! After it's all done up, you melt some butter and then commence tearing it's arms, legs, and tail off for a delicious meal...all while it sits there staring you in the face.

Have you ever seen or had a lobster before? Are you a vegetarian? Is there a reason why you feel the need to impose your beliefs on others?

Well I hope when you're eating it and enjoying the taste you think that it was worth the suffering that the poor thing went through

Yep. Same with the fish that I pull in the boat and beat over the head with a lead filled bat so I can get the hook out without loosing a finger.

Sometimes we just stick them in the live well until they suffocate, and then hopefully they are dead when we sit down to filet them ['cause then you gotta pull the bat out when it flops when the knife goes in]. (I got photos if you want)

Welcome to the wonderful world of _survival_. If you want to take up a cause, take up fish farming, or mass cattle farms, or chicken farms. Don't get into it with me about natural hunting.. where they live a perfectly fine life until their time comes up. I prefer free range animals because they at least were given a decent life. I have _no_ qualms over hunting for my meals. And I'm _not_ going to worry about the little suffering they get at the end of their life. They get more pain from a seagull pecking the crap out of them to death.

:doctor: South Devon Seems to think that Lobsters have the same Nervous System as us humans, They don't. In fact the cook is more likely to get hurt during the cooking process than the lobster. Even though I have never eaten a full lobster as I find them and all other seafood to be tasteless. I have cooked more than I can remember and can tell You that the only way to preserve a lobsters' taste, is to boil or steam it alive. just like most other shellfish. Unlike land based meats which need to be hung for anything from 2 days to 2 weeks to allow the enzymes within the meat start breaking it down and making it palatable. Fish on the other hand,start to deteriorate as soon as they're killed. Some, lobsters included, release an enzyme into their meat on death which ruins the meat.
Before any one starts on at me for saying all seafood is tasteless, that's just the way I feel. I've never tasted any seafood or fresh water fish that I've liked, and as a chef who has worked in several seafood restaraunts, I can say that I've tasted Nearly everthing available to the Irish Market.

I have no problem eating caught game- of any kind. I grew up eating venison, elk, quail, etc. (my Dad is an avid hunter). Caught seafood, being fresher is typically better than purchased, even at fishmarkets.In fact- I had my first lobster earlier this year- the very large, purchased one was a bit rubbery, but the smaller ones collected from traps were quite tasty.

Spectre once bubbled...

Yep. Same with the fish that I pull in the boat and beat over the head with a lead filled bat so I can get the hook out without loosing a finger.

Sometimes we just stick them in the live well until they suffocate, and then hopefully they are dead when we sit down to filet them ['cause then you gotta pull the bat out when it flops when the knife goes in]. (I got photos if you want)
Seriously, there needs to be some sort of warning before I paint this mental picture of you on a boat with a bat...

Spectre once bubbled...

Welcome to the wonderful world of _survival_.

Yes but it's not survival is it ! That's my whole point , humans don't need to eat meat to survive , they only eat it because it tastes nice !!!!!!! Vegetarianism is a healthier option !

dtcooney once bubbled...
:doctor: South Devon Seems to think that Lobsters have the same Nervous System as us humans, They don't. In fact the cook is more likely to get hurt during the cooking process than the lobster. Even though I have never eaten a full lobster as I find them and all other seafood to be tasteless. I have cooked more than I can remember and can tell You that the only way to preserve a lobsters' taste, is to boil or steam it alive. just like most other shellfish. Unlike land based meats which need to be hung for anything from 2 days to 2 weeks to allow the enzymes within the meat start breaking it down and making it palatable. Fish on the other hand,start to deteriorate as soon as they're killed. Some, lobsters included, release an enzyme into their meat on death which ruins the meat.
Before any one starts on at me for saying all seafood is tasteless, that's just the way I feel. I've never tasted any seafood or fresh water fish that I've liked, and as a chef who has worked in several seafood restaraunts, I can say that I've tasted Nearly everthing available to the Irish Market.

So are you trying to tell me that a lobster feels no pain whilst being boiled alive, if you are then my question is how do you know? It's a bit like fisherman who claim that a fish has no feeling when they have a large hook in their mouth !

I just adore anti- meat crusaders....

Vegetarianism is a healthier option? Prove it to me. Yes, there are many options for obtaining high quality protein in the plant world. However, they are incomplete proteins, and you have to consume from multiple sources to obtain complete proteins, which are readily available from meat. Eating a well balanced, healthy vegetarian diet is much more complex than doing so with one that contains meat products- this is why many many vegetarians have trouble maintaining a healthy weight and lack lean muscle mass.

Don't criticize the way I eat and I wont criticize the way you do.

Back
Top Bottom