poll -how many divers collect game ?

Do you collect game?

• Never-I'm happy interacting with the fish!

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Sometimes-but only what I can eat

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • As much as possible

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I enjoy killing marine life

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobster and fish have VERY simple brains and do not have the structure necessary to "appreciate" pain. The American lobster has a brain about the size and complexity of the average grasshopper. Most of that brain is apparently wired to interpret chemical signals in the water, not thought.

http://or.essortment.com/americanlobster_rwzh.htm

http://www.parl.ns.ca/projects/lobster/faq.htm

http://www.gis.net/~lobstermen/LobsterFacts.html

BTW the best method I've found for cooking lobster or any other crustaceans is to boil them in the seawater you took them out of. This matches osmotic pressures exactly to provide full plump tender meat that peels out of the shell easily. Boiling in fresh or "salted" water ensures a bad osmotic match so the meat will either absorb or loose water during the cooking process. If it absorbs water it's tender, but a pain to separate from the shell. If it looses water it's easier to peel from the shell, but it's tough. Overcooking also makes most seafood tough. Steaming of seafoood is effectively cooking them in a little fresh water, so some swellling can be expected, but not as much as if the bug was boiled in fresh water. As soon as the meat changes color from clear to white, the critter is done!

Contraty to the delusions of anthropomorphic fools milk does NOT come in cartons, and meat does NOT come wrapped in celophane. Milk comes from an udder, and meat comes wrapped in skin or shell. If you get complex protiens any other way you simply have a middleman involved to reduce the mess YOU have to deal with.

FT

Doc Intrepid once bubbled...
You started your thread and ran your poll.

You've gotten your answer. You've been on the board for what, two months now? In that time you've made a name for yourself as a marine life rights crusader, whining about your club and the spearfishers in it and now getting breathless over lobster.

Did you come to ScubaBoard specifically to raise hell over this one issue? Can you think of any other issue in the field of diving that you might find even remotely interesting to discuss?

So far you win the 'Oh Please Post of the Week Award'. Go commit mayhem with some Broccoli or something.

Actually this is the first time I've discussed this subject, so no I did not join scuba board to discuss controversy topics, in fact I have avoided it until now for this very reason!
I'm obviously losing this fighting battle so I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread and let you guys do whatever you want !
Thanks for the poll, I am surprised that 45 % don't collect game , interesting !

Granting for the sake of argument only that bugs feeling pain is a possibility.

Immersing a crustacean in boiling water immediately starves whatever the critter uses for a brain for O2. The FIRST thing cooked will be the blood in the gills immediatley upon submersion, thus stopping the circulatory system cold. O2 depletion will do the rest. Mudbugs last about 1 second after immersion.

Assuming the bug was out of water a while before his dip he was probably running pretty low on circulatory O2 anyway, but I haven't seen any definitive numbers on that.

FT

FredT once bubbled...
Assuming the bug was out of water a while before his dip he was probalby running pretty low on circulatory O2 anyway, but I havn't seen any definitive numbers on that.

Hmm. I'll have to run the idea through my experts.

I never really think to much about it, since I always feel it's _quick enough_.

FredT once bubbled...
. If it absorbs water it's tender, but a pain to separate from the shell.
FT

When I cleave it, in half, before immersing it, it separates from the shell like a charm! Cooks in 60 seconds as well.

Very tender.

FredT once bubbled...
Granting for the sake of argument only that bugs feeling pain is a possibility.

Immersing a crustacean in boiling water immediately starves whatever the critter uses for a brain for O2. The FIRST thing cooked will be the blood in the gills immediatley upon submersion, thus stopping the circulatory system cold. O2 depletion will do the rest. Mudbugs last about 1 second after immersion.
I have heard this from Chefs (not only the dudes on food network either) who answer the exact same way to people asking about "humane" ways to kill a bug....about 3 seconds after the bug hits the steam...he's dead, so long as he's not coming from a live tank.

Just an observation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom