Polyester webbing vs nylon webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Why do scuba applications usually use nylon webbing? From what I read around, seems like polyester webbing would be a better solution:

Nylon Webbing - Nylon webbing absorbs water quickly and mildews if not dried properly. It is strong and durable, with a breaking strength from 1,400 lbs. to 5,500 lbs., depending on the thickness.

Polyester Webbing - Polyester webbing is often used for climbing straps, bag handles and seat belts. It's a strong, woven fabric with a high abrasion resistance. It doesn't stretch like nylon webbing, is ultraviolet (UV) light-resistant and will not rot or mildew. It's available in many different widths and colors. The break strength for polyester webbing ranges from 1,500 lbs. to 10,000 lbs..

Thus, why nylon?

Do you think that a roll of polyester webbing like for car seatbelts would be superior to a general scuba harness webbing?

I have used seatbelt webbing to make harnesses for decades. The harness was used to attach an umbilical, knife and other tools. It worked well and was thinner then weight belt webbing so it could be easily be worn under other equipment.

Did you get the description of polyester and nylon webbing from strap works? I buy leashes and collars there, it looks familiar. They do have a 2" 'scuba' webbing that's nice and flexible; probably not best for BP harnesses. It might be as simple as the resin-impregnated stuff that most people use is only available in nylon.

Polyester probably would be better.

Polyester webbing doesn't hold triglides and d-rings very well. In addition, it turns out it's easier to get in and out of a harness if it has a little stiffness to it. I have made crotch straps out of polyester webbing, though.

Polyester webbing doesn't hold triglides and d-rings very well. In addition, it turns out it's easier to get in and out of a harness if it has a little stiffness to it. I have made crotch straps out of polyester webbing, though.
Yes-- the stiff stuff is best for harness webbing, it's easier to get into exactly as Lynne says. Softer material on the crotch strap makes for less wear and tear on your suit.

If you cut a polyester webbing, how do you prevent it from further fraying? Does it melt like nylon?

But seat belt material is way too soft for harness webbing. It is probably for comfort in car. Once it is wet, it will be even softer. Very un-pleasant to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom