Polyester webbing vs nylon webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you say you're curious if you don't read answers in this thread that answer the question? Soft webbing=doesn't keep its shape=can't get into it. And that's webbing that's still the same weight belt-style webbing, just not stiff enough. Seat belt webbing is useless for this, but if you're curious enough to experiment with it then there's no harm in that.

This subject has been discussed many times, several discussions can be found by searching this forum. Here's one: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/263314-harness-webbing.html

What I cannot understand why would you be unable to get into soft webbing... I mean no one uses ultra starch on their pants to jump into them. I have clothing and all of it is soft. One would say a person should have some experience getting into soft clothes. If one can put on regular underwear, I bet one can put on a soft harness... I think the trick is to help yourself using one's hands.

Texasguy, give it a try! Webbing is cheap.

If you set your gear up the way I do, I have my light and primary reg and backup light clipped off before I gear up. They're heavy, and pull the webbing down. If you have stiff webbing, you can catch an edge of it with your fingers or your elbow, and push it up, and it will lift all that stuff. If the webbing is too floppy, you won't be able to find an edge of it to insinuate your hand or elbow under; you'll simply be hunting for some way to identify the space (if any) between the webbing and the backplate, so you can get your arm into it.

It sounds attractive. It doesn't work. It's hard to get into, and the d-rings slide all over the place. And the really soft stuff won't allow you to use inner tube to keep anything, because it will just roll the webbing up in a ball.

Issue with soft webbing as haness: tri-glide slide around, so d-ring not at the same location between dives, shoulder harness lenght changes on its own. Soft webbing also roll when you d-on, that is additional touble on every d-on. Soft webbing also don't stay flat, it bunch up into a narrower space under load, making it very uncomfortable. Need I say more?

Have the above said, you want these soft webbing for crotch strap.

Texasguy - I just tried some softer polypro webbing, and found it a complete disaster.

The tri-glides don't hold.. at... all. Even doubling them up, I found if I stood up with a steel tank and the waist strap undone, the plate would move.

The can-light got the strap all twisted up.

The backup lights were a nightmare to get back in and out.

The rubber bands were enough to twist the webbing into pretzels.

It was extremely easy for everything to get twisted up out of shape.

It was much harder to get in and out of than firm webbing.

But give it a go, each to their own.

Do you think that seat belt webbing is easier to stitch?

Yes it would be much easier to stitch but I use pop rivets myself. As for it being too soft and therefore un-pleasant to use, that statement makes no sense.

But if someone made a stiff polyester webbing, it would likely be better than nylon due to it's water durability. I think that the guy that built the jet harness BP/W set ups used polyester webbing and supposedly his harnesses were excellent.

I do use somewhat softer webbing on my freedom plate. It's single tank only, more like a vintage-style set up. The toothed tri glides work well on the webbing. I don't know if it's nylon or polyester, I got it at scubatoys.

Back
Top Bottom