Pony Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I think the OP should try both methods and use the one that works best for him.

Unless he can rotate his head like Linda Blair and his arms are mounted on his torso backwards the sling method is going to work best for him.

Yes, I am suggesting you sling it.

I started with a hard mount pony. It worked OK. The mount, an ultimate pony bracket, cost about $60. I could not manage the pony valve during the dive. It put another strap on the main tank but that was reasonably manageable when my BCD had only one strap. Once I went to a BP/W which had 2 tank straps, the pony bracket with its 3rd strap became a real PITA. So I tried the slung pony. Homemade sling ran about $20. Took a while to develop technique & muscle memory to make attachment easy. Really liked being able to manage the valve UW. I was surprised how it did not get in my way and interfere with the dive. On dive boats, I no longer had any problems switching tanks and storing my rig - had to find the right seat with the hard mount.

It will cost you $20 to give it a try. Most of that is in the 2 SS snaps which will have other uses if you decide a hard mount is for you.

That's one option. Some others prefer to be able to see the pony so they can tell if it has freeflowed or otherwise lost gas in some other way during the dive. Back mounted you are most likely diving valve on and you cannot read the SPG. Sucks to hand off an empty cylinder.
If that is the case and it is that important to keep a CONSTANT eye on the pony's puressure then I will replace my 1 gas dive computer (Smart Z) to the 3 gas computer (Smart TEC) and dedicate one of the wireless sensor to the pony.

Great. So you've just handed off your pony to an OOA buddy and you both immediately surface only to find a lengthy surface swim awaits you. Which one does it while holding the pony?
I never dive on the hook and always have someone on the boat who can operate the boat so chance of me having a lengthy swim back to the boat will never happen. However, given the situation you describe above. I absoutely have no problem dumping all my gear (pony/BC/Regulator/Tank/Weight/whatever). Keeping only fins (for propulsion), mask (for vision), snorkel (for breathing) and emergency canister (plb, flares, vhf).

I think some people are trying to give you some "real world" advice. Up here using ponies is quite common and most of us sling them with no problems. The few who backmount seem to have no intention of handing it off.
I have given lots of thought regarding sling. The truth of the matter is - I will double before I sling. As for handling off - that is truly a bonus. If it can be properly setup, then sure. If not, then pony is only for me. (BTW I almost never buddy dive. Can't depend on a buddy. That is why I have considered a pony.)

Well, since you already have all the answers, why are asking for advice?

it's a bit hard to understand what the hell your wanting to do ...first you want to be able to hand the pony to a buddy who you say you hardly ever dive with then you say a long surface swim will never happen because you have someone topside....i can see why you don't have a buddy ....

While I do sling my bigger bottles, I tank mount my 13 which I use for recreational dives in the 60' - 110' range - or when ever I am lobster hunting.

As far as reaching the valve, if you mount the tank upside down the valve is easy to reach, I am not sure if you tried that orientation. Also as I noted I use as Scuba Pro (cinch strap) to mount the pony. This makes it possible and actually, quite easy to remove the pony from the tank even if your BP & Wings are still attached.

Just another note. For all my single tank BP & Wing rigs. I use a standard ALU buckle(in my case the older style DR cast ALU) cam band on top and a SS cinch strap type band on the bottom. This makes it much easy to mount your ring on tank - no need to slide the lower strap down the entire length of the tank. Much easier to remove as well. Also when using a tank mount pony you can attach the pony first and then just drop the BP over the tank, buckle the bottom and then tighten the top band.

As I noted when I am diving with 30 or 40 cu. ft. bottles I always sling them on my left side.

Yes, I am suggesting you sling it.

I started with a hard mount pony. It worked OK. The mount, an ultimate pony bracket, cost about $60. I could not manage the pony valve during the dive. It put another strap on the main tank but that was reasonably manageable when my BCD had only one strap. Once I went to a BP/W which had 2 tank straps, the pony bracket with its 3rd strap became a real PITA. So I tried the slung pony. Homemade sling ran about $20. Took a while to develop technique & muscle memory to make attachment easy. Really liked being able to manage the valve UW. I was surprised how it did not get in my way and interfere with the dive. On dive boats, I no longer had any problems switching tanks and storing my rig - had to find the right seat with the hard mount.

It will cost you $20 to give it a try. Most of that is in the 2 SS snaps which will have other uses if you decide a hard mount is for you.

I use the Scubapro straps on my OMW BP/W for two reasons, I find them easier to use and the bracket for my pony stays attached to the straps. Mount the pony upside down as kidsdream suggested for easy access to the valve. The disconnect clips are easy to reach for me but may not be for everyone.

That's my setup, you may disagree with it but that doesn't make it wrong. Your setup may be more ideal for you and your diving conditions.

I'm going to play nice and say I tried. You already have the answers, know nothing will go wrong and are willing to buy an expensive mounting bracket, new computer and dump all your dive gear instead of simply slinging so you must realllllyyyy not want to do it. OK. I believe in diving the way you want. Some people backmount the pony upside down so they can at least manipulate the valve and dive valve off (to prevent freeflows) but I am not a fan of that school of thought (just throwing it out there for consideration).
Good luck.

(For anyone else reading who might be interested)
There's nothing inherantly wrong with backmounting (lots of people do it) but it comes with some pitfalls and no real benefits. These pitfalls revolve around the issues of not being able to monitor your gas while diving and not being able to remount if you remove it from a quick release. If you think you may have bad enough luck to need a pony in the first place you might also have bad enough luck to be in situations where these other problems may occur.
Generally, simple is better and less prone to failure.

but it comes with some pitfalls and no real benefits. These pitfalls revolve around the issues of not being able to monitor your gas while diving and not being able to remount if you remove it from a quick release.

I think that these points are great to point out. Rather then telling someone "just sling it", points like this make a va:id reasoning.
Well put.

I do agree that if left clipped it would be difficult to monitor gas without a hoseless transmitter or a pressure gauge on a hose. The way you use your equipment depends on your TOTAL setup.

I am looking to get a 19cf pony.

What is the best attachment.

I need it to be sturdy.
I need it to be low profile.
I need it to be easy on easy off mounting.

I want it to be mounted onto BC tank strap.
I want it to be a soft mount. (be able to give it to a buddy it when necessary)

Please list all available makes/models.
Wow, this thread turned a little nasty.

UaVaJ, I think the problem you have here is conflicting requirements. Maybe what you need is two setups and be willing to switch as required. If you really are intending to hand off to an OOA buddy, you should A: have it slung and B: be using it....90+% of people OOA take the reg out of their buddy's mouth, so a pony reg hanging on your gear isn't going to be their first target!

My pony is for ME. For my total equipment setup and typical diving style, I use a backmount system (QuickDraw...but it doen't need two bands). I have a multi-tank computer to check the supply and the 2nd stage is on a necklace I can get to without using my hands. My biggest concerns are getting hung up while lobstering and controlling a panicky student. If the pony is in use, the dive is OVER. Again, for my style of diving.

I recommend you find some folks in your area who do different types of diving and rig their pony's differently and swap gear on a weekend trip (I've done that on many occasions). I'm in SE Fl regularly.

Something else everyone can benefit from is when you see something different ask "Why"....as is obvious here, everyone has a reason (some vehement) for their setup and style, but it's not always obvious from looking!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom