Pony bottle configuration

Pony placement and set up

• No pony or spare air

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • You wear a pony on your back tank

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • you wear a pony on your side

Votes: 47 44.8%
  • you're opposed to wearing a pony, why?

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank once bubbled...
MASS-Diver:

Yep, I think you're right, I think doubles sound like a good way to go. Do you mind on giving me a quick rundown of how the manifold works? What kind of flow control do you have with one, how do you obtain redundancy, what is the reg setup, etc. I have no experience with manifolds at all, other than I know they tie two tanks together.

As far as the AL120, I think you might have misunderstood. I stated in my second post that I currently use an AL100. In my first post I said that I was considering an AL120 as the primary air source for my rig. If I go get one, it will probably be soon, and I will let you know how it is, but to be honest, if I do go with a double setup, twin 120's might be a bit much. What do you think?

Thanks!!

Not to jump ahead of MASS-Diver, but FWIW:

A very good place to see how manifolded doubles are setup is www.gue.com. There are some other sites that show this also, you might browse around the "tek" forum and do a search on "doubles".
Essentially you have 3 valves and 2 redundant regulators. The regs are setup to provide breathing and buoyancy off each "post". Primary breathing (long hose) and primary buoyany (wing) off right post, and secondary breathing (necklaced) and drysuit off left post. There are variations of this, but I think that is the most common arrangement.

With a manifold and isolation valve, you can isolate each regulator and still have access to the gas in that tank, or isolate each side (essentially creating indepentant doubles), or isolate a complete side (total failure of first stage).

I am curious as to why you are looking at large alum tanks. Steel, especially LP steel, are much better suited to the style of diving you are talking about, or, as has been pointed out, double alum if diving wet. I didn't go back and reread the whole thread so maybe there is some reason I missed.

Yes, the comments about what you intended doing training wise and whom you were planning on diving with would have "tempered" the response. The question sounded like the typical "Hi, I have 5 dives and now I want doubles, trimix and want to be the first to dive the Titanic on open circuit".
It sounds like you have a workable plan.

MD

Mech,

Appreciate the link to GUE. Went there and devoured a ton of information... an awesome resource for tek diving. To be honest I had heard of DIR and such in local diving circles and on this board, but never really understood the complete system or where it originated from. I plan on visiting Extreme Exposure sometime soon (since it's in my neck of the woods, High Springs, FL) to get more info and possibly some training from them.

As far as the steel vs alum, I have now been educated, and you are exactly right. The LP steel looks much more promising than alum for bouyancy and ruggedness. I was in my local shop here the other day and was talking to them a bit about the steel tanks, and they recommended the scubapro 95's. They are more compact and about $300US. I was just curious if you might have used them, or seen them used and what your opinion is on them.
They seem to be fairly nice, and he said they were pretty popular for tek, but then again I'm sure he was biased for a sale. :)

Let me know your thoughts!!

Tank once bubbled...
Mech,

Appreciate the link to GUE. Went there and devoured a ton of information... an awesome resource for tek diving. To be honest I had heard of DIR and such in local diving circles and on this board, but never really understood the complete system or where it originated from. I plan on visiting Extreme Exposure sometime soon (since it's in my neck of the woods, High Springs, FL) to get more info and possibly some training from them.

As far as the steel vs alum, I have now been educated, and you are exactly right. The LP steel looks much more promising than alum for bouyancy and ruggedness. I was in my local shop here the other day and was talking to them a bit about the steel tanks, and they recommended the scubapro 95's. They are more compact and about $300US. I was just curious if you might have used them, or seen them used and what your opinion is on them.
They seem to be fairly nice, and he said they were pretty popular for tek, but then again I'm sure he was biased for a sale. :)

Let me know your thoughts!!

I've created another DIR monster :confused: :bonk:
Nooooooooo. Tell your family they cannot sue me :D

Glad you liked the site, there is lots of good info there.

For steel tanks, I have PST 95s for doubles and Scubapro 80s for singles. Personally, I would buy PST, even though they may be somewhat more expensive, as the coating is much more durable IMO.

The SP tanks are Faber and have somewhat different buoyancy characteristics than the PST, being, depending on what chart you use, somewhat more positive when empty. My buddy has a set of the SP 95s and I have dove them also.

I really like the steel 80s I bought as they are quite short and handy for diving single, but as I said, I prefer the PST for doubles.

Good choice on going steel, they meet your requirements much better IMO.

MD

Pressed Steel (PST) tanks are the standard steel tanks for tech diving. Mostly 104s, some 95s.

WW

When I dive on a single, I mount a 13 cu ft tank on the right side of my main tank. I have a 6 foot hose on the reg which is bundled in a sleeve (think spandex) and the reg is clipped on a break away strap to my right shoulder strap of the BCD. I also have a full face SPG on the pony (the pros and cons have been discussed on the board all ready) that is on a hose tucked under two bungee straps that go around the pony, so ti stays out of the way but can still be easily read.

The pony bottle attaches to the main tank with a wire loop that goes around the valve of the main tank and is attached with SS house clamps around the pony, as well as a webbing/velcro strap and buckle that attaches around the main tank and pony. So no it cannot be removed without me disconnecting my dry suit and BCD inflator hoses and dropping my primary reg from my mouth.

MikeFerrara:

I use a 30al pony strapped to the right side of my main tank with OMS bands. On the front right side of my BC I have two 2nt stages secured. One is the octo, one is the pony.

My wife does the same thing, except she uses a 13al. She doesn't use as much air as I:)

:bonk:

Personally, my pony is going to be a bail out bottle. I use a 19 cu ft bottle mounted on the side of my single tank. Standard hose secusred to my BC on the right side directly below the octo reg because it's intended to be used by me in an emergency. Strictly a form of redundancy.

When I'm diving my doubles I don't use a pony....I'm already redundant. If I have extra tanks they are sling bottles for deco purposes, and planned with mixes that can serve as bail out if necessary. (Somewhat of an oversimplification.)

I dive solo a lot, including being "solo" on the boat. When it's rockin' and a rollin', I find it really difficult to gear up in doubles....so I actually put them on in the water easier than on the boat sometimes. Therefore, a single tank is the easiest for me a lot of the time. If I'm going deep (over 60') a small mounted pony for bail out is just the right configuration I need.

Frankly, I don't know anyone that carries a pony for the purpose of helping someone else in am OOA situation and it never occurred to me until I read this thread. Does make me think though.....

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
[B For me, I usually take my pony along on dives 50' and deeper. I'm confident I can swim up from shallower if my buddy is not available. I'm an experienced free diver and I work hard on breath holding.

Not trying to nit pick, cause I Believe that MASS-Diver would not HOLD their breath and ascend, but rather, would be exhaling on ascent. Just like you were taught in OW class.:eek:ut:

Tank, the PST LP and HP tanks are being replaced by the E-series. For info on these tanks see the post by tivey. The Halcyon people are having quality problems with their backplates- sharp edges- cutting harnesses and abraiding the bc. The shaping of the plate angles is not consistent either. That said, there are other plates out there. My Halcyon stuff is four years old and going strong. A thought would be another plate with either the explorer or pioneer wing.

Back
Top Bottom