Pony Bottle Sling Recommendation While Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having moved over to more tech diving, I've become accustomed to carrying an AL40 as a deco bottle with the doubles set up (for one long tech profile), or as a bail-out with my HP120 single tanks (when doing recreational profiles). I used to use a pony bottle with the single tank set up, but now much prefer clipping off the AL40 under an arm while diving. Better access, more gas than I had with the pony, and I can hand it off to a buddy if needed. I'd use the doubles all the time for redundancy, but only have HP100s doubled - tends to be too little gas for two dives to the depths I go (100-120ft), plus the charters I use won't go with two sets of doubles (no way I'm doubling the HP120s!).

For a quick topside mount and removal I like the bracket made by shark Mfg [www.ponybracket.com ]
I have a pony 13 or 19 mounted upside down with a long[ish] inflator hose attached to my Air2. I can reach the valve easily. It's behind my back. I think it cost me about $75 last year. I like to use the Air2 ice water diving upon entry. I can reach back and shut it off quick if it starts to freeflow. If it doesn't stop I only lose the air in the small tank.

Given the date of the op, you may have already put together a redundant system with a pony. I don't hunt or have much interest in diving deep any more. I often dive solo to do my underwater photography thing so I put together a redundant system with a 19 cf pony tank and a Zeagle two band mounting system. For my purposes, the system works very nicely.

-AZTinman

Any updates on the solution you chose?

Any updates on the solution you chose?

I was going to make my own from spare parts around the garage. But I'm always short on time. Was going to order the Zeagle system. Then talked to a friend that doesn't dive much anymore. He offered me his X bracket. I've had it out a few times and works great. Takes a little getting used to in the water. I'm still tweaking the setup a little bit. But overall happy.

I was more interested in staying streamlined so a sling setup was out of the question. I usually hunt solo so no reason to make bottle removable. If the crud hit's the fan and the other hunter finds me, we can surface together.

I was going to make my own from spare parts around the garage. But I'm always short on time. Was going to order the Zeagle system. Then talked to a friend that doesn't dive much anymore. He offered me his X bracket. I've had it out a few times and works great. Takes a little getting used to in the water. I'm still tweaking the setup a little bit. But overall happy.

I was more interested in staying streamlined so a sling setup was out of the question. I usually hunt solo so no reason to make bottle removable. If the crud hit's the fan and the other hunter finds me, we can surface together.

The X-braket is designed to have the pony hanging from the tank cam band. By now you should realize this sux when you are bent over, trying to change out tanks in rough conditions on a boat. You can use the X-bracket in the same manner i showed in my video, just replace the piece of fiberglass (or aluminum Rods) that I used- in other words substitute the X-bracket for the fiberglass/Al rods.

You will need to purchase an additional cam band, and that is a dedicated band for the pony. MUCH easier and more convenient.

The X-braket is designed to have the pony hanging from the tank cam band. By now you should realize this sux when you are bent over, trying to change out tanks in rough conditions on a boat. You can use the X-bracket in the same manner i showed in my video, just replace the piece of fiberglass (or aluminum Rods) that I used- in other words substitute the X-bracket for the fiberglass/Al rods.

You will need to purchase an additional cam band, and that is a dedicated band for the pony. MUCH easier and more convenient.

Before I even dove with it, I figured that attaching bracket to your existing BC cam bands would be a PITA. Luckily I had an extra cam band from my old BC. So I use it exactly as you describe with an extra cam band on bracket.

My existing BC has two cam bands. So I put the pony bottle bracket between them. It works pretty well. I'm still working out details like if I want the bottle upside down or not. But that's just another excuse to go dive!

Appreciate all the help guys!

Two Cam bands on the BC is a pain with my set-up.

If you can... mount the X-bracket super low on the pony so that the pony cam band goes just below the lower one from the BC. Making the monofilament line the perfect length, ensures you mounting (hanging) the pony at the identical and correct height each time.

So you can slip the pony on, then put the BC on the tank. It holds pretty stable, even if not mounted on the center of the pony bottle.

Two Cam bands on the BC is a pain with my set-up.

If you can... mount the X-bracket super low on the pony so that the pony cam band goes just below the lower one from the BC. Making the monofilament line the perfect length, ensures you mounting (hanging) the pony at the identical and correct height each time.

So you can slip the pony on, then put the BC on the tank. It holds pretty stable, even if not mounted on the center of the pony bottle.

That sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a try.
I'll admit it's tricky to close the BC cam bands with the pony bottle between them. This should solve that.
I once liked the idea of having two cam bands for redundancy. But this is changing my opinion on the matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom