Recommendations for pony bottle/regulator set up for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on earning a solo diver certification at the end of the year. From what I've read, one of the items I need is an alternate air source, which would be a pony bottle with a regulator. I'm wondering what I should look for in a pony bottle and regulator and if there are certain ones that are recommended. I would also take it with me when doing Deep/Wreck dives as well. Thanks.

Reactions: OTF
To start with, consider your realistic gas requirement for bailing out on to your pony in an emergency from the maximum depth that you are likely to dive. This will inform the size of cylinder required. I like to have mine side slung. For this reason, aluminium is my choice as the buoyancy characteristics are favourable. I've done quite a few dives with both an AL40 and a 3L cylinder. Obviously, the AL40 was more of a lump to carry around topside, but carried nicely underwater.

I'm planning on earning a solo diver certification at the end of the year. From what I've read, one of the items I need is an alternate air source, which would be a pony bottle with a regulator. I'm wondering what I should look for in a pony bottle and regulator and if there are certain ones that are recommended. I would also take it with me when doing Deep/Wreck dives as well. Thanks.

Which BC do you have? Jacket or BP/W? I’ve had a buddy with a jacket style BC that didn’t have D rings in the proper places and couldn’t sling a 30cft pony. I think a 40 is best, but if your BC can’t handle it, then you have to look at other options.

Do you need to travel with it by air? If so, an Al19, or better yet IMO an Al27 if you can find one, is probably at least part of your new stable (pun appropriate) as packing an Al40 can be more challenging for both size and weight. Personally, anything smaller than the 19 could potentially turn a deeper bailout into an "Assisted CESA"(TM :wink: ) rather than a more standard ascent. Even with the 19, dawdling would be a bad idea if at all deep.

If you are driving to dive, an Al40 probably makes the most sense as it has significantly larger gas capacity and is usually just as easy to sling. With Deep/Wreck in the mix the additional margin is an important factor.

I chose to use the same reg components that I use for my main tank. And then I carry at least one spare 1st and 2nd in case of problems. Familiar, interchangeable, one set of service kits to stock and/or the same service facility. (Primary and Alternate on my main tank are also the same 2nd stages). Button gauge on the 1st, oriented for visibility. Others use a standard gauge on a short-hose, strapped for visibility.

I carry my ponies slung with (top and bottom connected) stage rigging, 2nd stage and 40" hose stowed on the pony with elastic bands. I use a cam-band version for my travel pony for ease instead of a SS worm-drive clamp band. Even though it is clipped in top and bottom(ish) I also added a bungee loop to my BC and use it to tuck the pony up sidemount style - it now is just there but essentially unnoticed in the dive.

Others use (main) tank-mounted ponies and stow the 2nd stage on a necklace.

As Marie pointed out, your BC may limit your options. In the end the pony might drive your choice of BC system.

Personally, I prefer DIN for the first stage, if for no other reason than it takes up less space. You can always bring a yoke adapter if you need one for travel.

People fall into two categories for second stages, the first is the "go cheap" - you probably aren't going to use it, and if you do, it won't be for long - is the thinking there.

The second is the "don't go cheap" - You could use the same make/model of regs you use elsewhere. Easier to service, and good quality regs when SHTF...

Personally, I am in the second category, but my pony regs are set up to become my backup sidemount regs if necessary.

The question really is, what kind of diving will you be doing in the future and what's the easiest way to save money and have what you need in the long run? If you're thinking tech or SM, it's probably better to go with DIN/higher quality/balanced second. If you're thinking of a pony that will grow up to be a deco bottle, maybe DIN and a cheap second stage. . . If it's just a bottle that you're going to use when SHTF on a rec dive, maybe you can find some cheaper decent equipment that will work. You probably aren't going to notice an unbalanced rig at recreational depths and you're likely not going to be much more than 6 or 7 minutes from the surface in any case.

Discussed here

And here

I’ll chime in.
This is my system and obvs I think it’s great.

Standard AP Buddy commando (old ones only) w shoulder D rings installed.
I dive a 3L bailout down to 20m max. That’s about 50bar out of a 12L tank. Not much but it’ll get you up from there.
I use a metalsub quick release that I picked up cheap. Get one. They’re great.
I dive indi 12’s past 20m because I don’t want to cut it too thin or worse…skip a stop. 3L isn’t enough past 20m in my conservative optinion.

I used to sling a 7L and though the buddies don’t come w the D ring for the bottom snap on the bailout cylinder you can attach a spare cam band to your main tank w a D ring on it. Worth remembering.

Now…the reason for indi twins is configuration options. You can swap it all back and forth easily and more importantly perhaps…you can just twin up standard rental tanks on the fly.
The AP commando set up for this is ideal but you can config a BP that was and I have done in the past.

Hope that helps.

Whenever this question comes up you will eventually get answers ranging from 3cf SpareAir to independent 80cf+ doubles. But the short answer is: get what you are actually likely to use.

A SpareAir that you actually dive with gives you a few more breaths than a 40 or 80 that you leave in the car or at home because of the hassle. I'm not advocating SpareAir (mostly hated here), though it technically qualifies as an alternate air source for SDI Solo. Frankly, if I were mostly diving 20-30 foot sites like Blue Heron Bridge or many Key Largo sites I might be tempted by SpareAir.

However, for me I chose a 19cf as my 1st pony, and am interested in a 13cf for travel. I can use the same reg set for either. This works for MY recreational open water diving scenarios -- realistically there's no way I'm slinging a 40 or 80, let alone trying to pack one for air travel. Most of my truly solo dives are not super deep, and for my solo-on-a-group-dive situations a 19 or even 13 would give me a good bit of time to ring my clanger to get the attention of someone else on the dive. I'm not into wreck penetrations or cave dives where I might need a lot of extra time to find an exit to the surface.

Are there scenarios where this might not be enough? Absolutely, and each diver has to do their own risk assessment and be realistic about what you will actually use. Ultimately, for me a 19cf was a good 1st pony, but I may add other sizes for different diving/travel scenarios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom