Recommendations for pony bottle/regulator set up for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s like a sidemount tank bungee.
Probably seems obvious to a sidemount diver. But for me, a rec diver who will never go tech and who has slung a 19 cu ft pony for 2 years and about 180 dives, and about 80 dives since my SDI solo course without a sidemount tank bungee, it was a revelation to me.

My last 30 dives with the sidemount tank bungee turned sometimes misbehaving Pony into really sweet Pony.

For those teaching SDI solo or PADI self reliant or those mentoring a diver that wants to sling a Pony, this would be a great addition to the teaching.

Probably seems obvious to a sidemount diver. But for me, a rec diver who will never go tech and who has slung a 19 cu ft pony for 2 years and about 180 dives, and about 80 dives since my SDI solo course without a sidemount tank bungee, it was a revelation to me.

My last 30 dives with the sidemount tank bungee turned sometimes misbehaving Pony into really sweet Pony.

For those teaching SDI solo or PADI self reliant or those mentoring a diver that wants to sling a Pony, this would be a great addition to the teaching.
Like this. Take the loop of bungee and put it around tank knob. Friend took this photo to show me something. The shoulder strap of his SM rig is in the way.

IMG_2638.jpeg

I'm planning on earning a solo diver certification at the end of the year. ... I'm wondering what I should look for in a pony bottle and regulator and if there are certain ones that are recommended.

Whenever this question comes up you will eventually get answers ranging from 3cf SpareAir to independent 80cf+ doubles. But the short answer is: get what you are actually likely to use.

Okay, I'll be THAT guy. Baby doubles (LP50's) are soooo sweet for solo recreational diving! And they will help get you started toward the deep/wreck diving that you're thinking you would eventually like to do.

Not what you asked for, but there it is!

rx7diver

There is really not a need for a sm bungee for a stage or pony. Typically when people have unwieldy pony bottles it is due to a poorly fitting harness (if in bp/w and what I mean is shoulder straps too tight or too loose), improper positioning of one or both drings, or a less than ideal stage rigging kit setup. I will attest that for a while in bm doubles I was unhappy with my hangy first stage/tank valve. I tried the sm bungee for a while and it's that classic annoying "equipment solution to a skills problem." After spending some time with a quality instructor who cleaned up my harness a little, my stages are always happy. I also thought my homemade stage rigging was perfect because it looked just like a halcyon stage kit. In reality when I put the two side by side there was little more length at the neck for the top boltsnap and a little too long on the leash. Fixing that also made a huge difference.

Okay, I'll be THAT guy. Baby doubles (LP50's) are soooo sweet for solo recreational diving! And they will help get you started toward the deep/wreck diving that you're thinking you would eventually like to do.

rx7diver

I've owned this setup. Very nice indeed until you want to do two deeper recreational dives. Two sets would be a solution I suppose.

My $0.02 is don’t listen to any of us. An Al 40 is my personal preference cause it holds a good amount of gas, is easy to find when you travel, and can be used when you get into deco.

But at the end of the day don’t even listen to me. Wait till your class and let your instructor tell you what to get. Moving to a stage/buddy bottle can be a big adventure for ow divers. As an example, clipping a stage to bp/w is universally easier than in a poodle jacket. Wait till class so you’re not buying the wrong thing then rebuying.
What’s a poodle jacket?
I’m trying to work out if I should take offence at that remark…😂

rx7diver
Doesn’t do squat for you if you’re flying to dive.

Also a **** ton more expensive than just getting a pony and a reg. Plus, you need a second set in order to do two recreational dives in a day.

This is my back mounted pony next to my back mounted main tank that happens to be the same size and connected by a manifold. :poke:

Attachments

• 345176976_193571986418931_1191342824742309171_n.jpg
    345176976_193571986418931_1191342824742309171_n.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 110

Back
Top Bottom