Pony Bottle, worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very unfortunate thing. A few women fought very hard to gain this right, and immediately after, a bunch of them walked shirtless through the streats of Toronto to celebrate. Then.....For some reason our women don't like exercising their rights.
AWWWW--there was me googling flights over to canada.

AWWWW--there was me googling flights over to canada.
St.Barts and the French side of St.Maarten in the Caribbean has some kinda decent diving, all beaches are topless, some nude. Try them both; they're close to each other.

St.Maarten if famous for it's airport on the beach as shown below, but St.Barts' runway is wilder with some planes ending up on the beach itself.

st-maarten.jpg

So I'll be going for my Advanced Certification in the next 3 weeks or so :D

However the nature of the depths does have me on the cautious side of things. I have been considering buying a pony bottle. I've seen quite a few people with them and just to know if something were to happen to my regulator setup or by whatever means I mis calculate my air left for ascent it would be nice to know I can salvage a few more breathes.

So what is the overall thought on these? Worth the price or just be extra cautious and play it safe?
Probably this has been covered off but that first deep dive is going to be with your instructor. Its probably the one time the focus is totally on prevention rather than cure.

i just love experts, based on my statement you were able to determin my existing air pressure and overhead enviorment. this may come as a suppries to you but not everyone dives only for pleasure in clear blue water with nothing overhead but a charterd boat waiting to feed you lunch.

OK, please share the details, this could be fun. Prove me wrong, pretty please...

How deep?
What kind of overhead?
What was your pressure at the time you lost you HP hose?

If you were diving overhead or deco with a 13cu ft bottle I would be astounded.

The rate of loss from a HP hose is not only very low (35 min for a full tank) but is proportional to the remaining pressure in the tank unlike a LP hose which is constant until the last couple hundred PSI. So even if the tank is 1/4 full, it going to take at least 10-12 minutes to bleed down.

I always dive with my 19cf pony. In a SHTF situation, I will be glad I have it.

The rate of loss from a HP hose is not only very low (35 min for a full tank) but is proportional to the remaining pressure in the tank unlike a LP hose which is constant until the last couple hundred PSI. So even if the tank is 1/4 full, it going to take at least 10-12 minutes to bleed down.

Some times it takes a demo for things to sink in.....
YouTube - ‪Cutting a Scuba Divers Regulator Hoses‬‏

I always assume that I would have to be a total idiot to ever need a pony bottle.

So that is why I carry one.

I let a low paid idiot who does not have the proper tools (and who has never had any formal training in regulators) work on my regulators.

As long as I keep working on my own regs, I'm taking a pony bottle.

I let a low paid idiot who does not have the proper tools (and who has never had any formal training in regulators) work on my regulators.

As long as I keep working on my own regs, I'm taking a pony bottle.

The exact reason I don't carry a pony.

I don't think it's fair to assume he is trolling.
Uh................ He meant you

Last edited:
St.Barts and the French side of St.Maarten in the Caribbean has some kinda decent diving, all beaches are topless, some nude. Try them both; they're close to each other.

St.Maarten if famous for it's airport on the beach as shown below, but St.Barts' runway is wilder with some planes ending up on the beach itself.

st-maarten.jpg
Now that looks like fun --but in fairness I havent even explored my local area (the pacific) yet let alone headed your way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom