• Manifolded doubles

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • single main cylinder with pony bottle

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Single main cylinder with stage bottle

Votes: 18 23.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
By that standard, manifolded doubles are also still a SINGLE gas source. All it would take is for an isolator o-ring to go and you're hooped.

I dive with a stage as my redundant gas source, and have been thinking about going to doubles. Since the isolator o-ring is a single point of failure, is it common for solo divers to use double tanks with no manifold at all? To do that, would you switch back and forth from one regulator to the other to maintain balance?

neil_l:
What would you classify a 30cf bottle slung on D-rings? Pony or stage? Is the difference the size or where you carry it?

It's a 13cf pony bottle slung like a stage.
This way I can keep the valve off until needed, and it won't lose it's air. Also it can be handed off to someone and it's less trouble than setting up the tank attachment each time.
I refer to a 30 as a pony, because it is small. If it is used as a redundant supply I call it a bailout bottle, if it is used to extend the range of the dive, a stage. If it is filled with deco gas, I call it a deco bottle.
As a practical matter I don't use ponies as stages, only as bailouts or decos.
Rick

Well, I prefer using a set of doubles with an ISOLATOR manifold, with captured O-rings. If one blows, isolate, and you'd still have most your gas in the other tank, and a way back to the surface. The odds of blowing a single captured O-ring is very low, but to blow both, well, God just wants you in Heaven that day! And if its that bad, I'll sling a 40 on the D-rings and have at it. But my point here is, the Isolator manifold does serve its purpose, and if your diving a manifold valve with a cap on it, you're at just as much risk of an O-ring blowout, same with an H-valve. On that note, where's the Y valve divers? Those seem to be better than the H valve, since there are less failure points, but I've managed to see very few of those out there in comparasion to the H valve...

i always dive with either a pony bottle, when i'm diving with a single tank or if i'm diving my doubles with a manifold and isolator valve with double regs. either system i'm always diving with a redundant setup. i usuaually dive with din valves as this is just one more saftey factor with the captured o-rings. ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom