Pony Bottlle - Mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased my first pony bottle and a Quick Draw Pony Bracket. What is the preferred method of mounting the bottle to my tank, right side up or upside down? Thanks for your ideas!

Ronnie

I mount mine right side up, have it fully on.

Some people mount theirs upside down, just pressurize the hose then turn it off. I heard about an absolute CF recently, when an OOA diver ended up getting the not-really-on pony reg. Can you say "Panic"?

The only time I ever mounted upside down was on a trip where I had a reg issue that couldn't be serviced locally, a minor freeflow.

Right side up keeps the first stage out of harm's way -- it's easy to whack it if it's upside down.

Some folks like upside down, say that it prevents a freeflow from emptying the pony. My pony's reg is in a place where it's readily noticeable, and the reg is detuned sufficiently that freeflow is simply a very low likelihood. I also do check the pressure between dives.

Either way, good job on having a backup.

It shouldn't matter as long as your hose access is readily available.

Al

As far as I know the most common would be right hand side with valve on top.

I'm in the right side, valve up crowd too.

I just purchased a 19 pony bottle and I plan on clipping my to the BC so that in an emergency I can grab it or my buddy can have it. My LDS showed me several ways to mount it and then suggested what best met what I wanted.

Mine is valve down. If you go that route, be sure it is mounted high enough so when you set your rig down it dont bang the pony. Your rig should set on the main tank only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom