Pony/Redundant Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jax
Wow Crush, you really seem to have something against Dr Wu. You should chill out, its only an internet chat board. By the way, I am also benefiting from this thread, as I am considering slinging a pony bottle. Thanks for the info and links that everyone has provided in this thread.

Wow Crush, you really seem to have something against Dr Wu. You should chill out, its only an internet chat board.

What I abhor is ignorance, and posters who hide behind the anonymity of not stating their dive experience only to criticize new divers who come to SB for help.

Safe diving to you, Pudsky.

I sense something missing, oh, I know what it is:

"Confucious says, 'Why are you so interested in a piece of gear you don't seem to understand very well?'"

marionnette:
I sense something missing, oh, I know what it is:

"Confucious says, 'Why are you so interested in a piece of gear you don't seem to understand very well?'"

To me the OP seems to understand the concept well enough to ask well-formed questions.

I think some basic research into the topic would have shown you why the questions you asked are impossible to answer properly.

How so? He asked for opinions. Many will offer those opinions, and some will include why they have that opinion. Others have asked for some more information so that they can offer an even more educated opinion. Many of these opinions will vary, and some might conflict with others. But they have addressed the OP's question.

I am looking for opinions and pictures of redundant tanks. I am looking at setting up a 19 cu ft tank. My main questions are how to mount? What gauge? What length hose? I dive a Zeagle ranger so I am thinking about the zeagle straps and mounting the tank upside down next to my main tank. What SPG and for what reasons? What length hose for the second stage?

Pictures would be awesome as I am sure any information will just raise more questions.

19 is not really enough to bailout from say 100 ft the minimum amount calculated is in a range of 30cuf.

The most optimal is to get a luxfer 40cuf stage tank. You can use that tank even if you decide to do tech diving. And it's a plenty of gas. Another problem with 19 ft is that if you do 2 boat dives and you bailed out once on it even in the best case you do not have gas for the second dive. With 40 cuf you would likely to have enough gas for the second dive. I saw a lot of people switching away from 19cuf bottles on the lakes as they are small.

If I were you I would get Luxfer 40cuf a standard stage rigging kit and standard DIR regulator kit with 40 inch hose and an SPG and sling it on the left side. You will hardly notice it underwater. 19cuf IMHO is a waste of money and it will not cost you much less than the 40cuft

Besides when you go with mounting on the main tank you will either have to have at least 2 mounting brackets on the main tanks to do 2 boat dives or switch the mounting bracket between the dives. And this procedure is not fun especially on a rocking boat. Mounting hardware for the back is very expensive. The hardware for slinging the tanks is cheap you can buy a kit new for around 40 dollars or make your own for around 25 (including good quality clips)

Last edited:
Sorry, i dont mean to hijack this thread- but Im interested in this pony thing as well!

Wouldnt it be possible to sling a pony tank on your back?

I mean, if youre going to back mount one anyway, couldnt you use a stage bottle sling and rig up some simple attachment to the main tank? ...

I mean, if youre going to back mount one anyway, couldnt you use a stage bottle sling and rig up some simple attachment to the main tank? ...

Not really, as it would flop around. Look at doctormikes pics and see how a slung bottle hangs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom