Pool Hovering issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum,

True, but also consider that the circumstances in the pool and CW sessions are quite different from the real OW environment. As Instructors and DMs, we are training students not to dive in the pool, but to progress to OW.

By the time we have done the proper weight checks in CW2 (PADI), the majority of my students do not need any weight. However, we teach about adding 3-4 lbs if the weight check is done with a full tank, etc., so on they go.

In the real world, they will be using weights, sometimes significantly more than in the pool. Although they may not "need" weights in the pool, I feel my students need to get the "feel" of dealing with weights.

It is a real eye-opener for a student to have them to don a weight belt at the surface if they try it with 4lbs (often enough for the pool) vs. 12lb (typical of what they might encounter in the tropics - make it +20lbs in a two piece 7mm or dry suit locally). If they don't believe it's important to keep that belt close to the hip with 4lbs, they find out pretty quick what will happen when they try it with 12lb.

Sorry for the ramble.

Bill

Last edited:
Did he ever say if he was using a steel tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom