Question Pool Practice Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now that would be funny…hey…how is that guy doing frog kicks in his OW certification dive?
I used to teach frog kicking and helicopter turns in the OW class. Some would even try back kicking. Nothing special about teaching a frog or modified frog kick.

However, I basically have unlimited access to an indoor pool at my LDS with a 9ft deep end until the local lakes/quarries open up again…
I agree with some other posts, suggesting futzing a bit with your ballast; getting accustomed to it, without fellow students kicking you in the face, though nine feet is a bit on the shallow side for too much -- and I am definitely on the side of minimizing that weight, since the activity is , after all, scuba diving and not sinking; that, and keeping gear to a bare minimum.

There are a number of related threads on SB.

When I first began, we actually had to dive and none were allowed to sink foot-first, like so many classes that I have seen in recent years . . .

WAIT! OP, are you not yet certified? Have you only done the pool work but not the open water work? If so, you'll need an instructor or DM in the water with you while you are doing all this practicing. Anything less than that is not to standards and probably puts the insurance of the pool owner at risk.

Appreciate the concern honest. I’ve never been alone in the water, but I’m not part of an organized class if that’s what you are asking. Which is why I’m doing my own practice. I have the option to have a DM/Instructor join me if I wish. The Owner/Instructor Trainer also does my pre splash “buddy check” and a post dive Q&A and seems to always be standing there when I surface. I’ve seen far less attention at public pools with lifeguards.

I don’t know the agency rules or insurance stuff, but I very much appreciate the level of care and safety they have shown…but also the freedom (and I’m sure some risk on their part) to let me continue to learn. I’ve done all my training with them (which is not insignificant - just doesn’t include the open water dives and the paper) so they know my skill level.

I have nothing but great things to say about them and their support and I’ve never felt alone or unsafe.

Appreciate the concern honest. I’ve never been alone in the water, but I’m not part of an organized class if that’s what you are asking. Which is why I’m doing my own practice. I have the option to have a DM/Instructor join me if I wish. The Owner/Instructor Trainer also does my pre splash “buddy check” and a post dive Q&A and seems to always be standing there when I surface. I’ve seen far less attention at public pools with lifeguards.

I don’t know the agency rules or insurance stuff, but I very much appreciate the level of care and safety they have shown…but also the freedom (and I’m sure some risk on their part) to let me continue to learn. I’ve done all my training with them (which is not insignificant - just doesn’t include the open water dives and the paper) so they know my skill level.

I have nothing but great things to say about them and their support and I’ve never felt alone or unsafe.

So they’re letting you dive solo in the pool? Dang. Not kosher.

So they’re letting you dive solo in the pool? Dang. Not kosher.

If you mean I don’t have a dedicated person in the water for me at all times. Then I guess that would be true. However someone is watching me at all times and a certified diver is in the water whenever I am.

Maybe that’s the nuance that allows the shop to consider it safe in my situation.

I should just fly to FL for the weekend and get the card.

The "burning boat" drill is fun. Take all of your gear.....tank, fins, mask, reg, BC.......etc.... unassembled and chuck it all into the deep end so it's all just siting on the bottom. Helps if you have an integrated BC with weights inserted....

Then dive in and after assembling and donning everything while underwater.......surface fully assembled and good to go..

If you mean I don’t have a dedicated person in the water for me at all times. Then I guess that would be true. However someone is watching me at all times and a certified diver is in the water whenever I am.

Maybe that’s the nuance that allows the shop to consider it safe in my situation.

I should just fly to FL for the weekend and get the card.

What you’re describing is apparently incredibly rare due to liability issues. I know other dive shops that wouldn’t let a certified diver solo during a pool session (aka without their own buddy) unless they had their solo cert.

Yes, going to FL would be a good idea. Then come back home and practice in the pool when you’re already certified.

Is your training being done under PADI?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom