Port closed Nov 20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to talk to your dive op about how they will communicate with you in the event of bad weather. My guy (Living Underwater) calls me the night before if things look like they will be sketchy in the morning, telling me to await his phone call in the morning before I head down to the pier. Depending on where you are staying, phone calls might not be an option. But you REALLY need to work out a procedure in advance for how this will be managed/communicated. Otherwise you could be sitting for a very long time since conditions might look OK where you are but they are NOT good where boats are departing.

Are the winds normally better by mid December when we will be there? We hope so!

They only get worse in my opinion. I was there for 3 weeks last January and the port was closed a lot with el nino screwing everything up. There were days the port was open but I didn't feel safe going out. If you go this time of year stay 2 weeks lol I have seen people go a week and get to dive 1-2 days. It just happens nothing you can plan out. Aldora will dive the east side if its good during a norte. I'm staying a month this year and am going to do some cenote dives on mainland which is also a idea if port is closed. enjoy

You really can not predict anything this far out. For the last 4 years I have been down for 10 days during the first half December and occasionally there has been a lost day due to an El Norte but it is pretty random but I can't remember more than a single day at a time. I have also lost dive days due to El Norte as early as October and as late as May. A fuzzy general idea can be had about a week out by watching for a strong front moving south through New Mexico and Texas. A forecast of a strong south moving front that crosses down through Brownsville and Galveston often indicates an El Norte 2-3 days later in Cozumel.

You really can not predict anything this far out. For the last 4 years I have been down for 10 days during the first half December and occasionally there has been a lost day due to an El Norte but it is pretty random but I can't remember more than a single day at a time. I have also lost dive days due to El Norte as early as October and as late as May. A fuzzy general idea can be had about a week out by watching for a strong front moving south through New Mexico and Texas. A forecast of a strong south moving front that crosses down through Brownsville and Galveston often indicates an El Norte 2-3 days later in Cozumel.

Actually it is about 24 hours later. In January 2001 21 out of 31 days saw some level of port closure. That is what caused us to start diving the east side which can be like a lake during a norte.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom