possible? 2nd stage failing & supplying air above ambient?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upstream reg.? anybody vintage wanna chime in?

Excitement and adventure, I'll pass next time.

Bob
-----------------
I may be old,but I'm not dead yet.

upstream reg.?

upstream regulators have a safety valve either built into the second stage, the hose or the first stage.

As to answer the original question. A second stage supplying LESS than ambient pressure would be pretty much useless.

The second stage exhaust valve has a much higher maximum flow rate than the second .

Wouldn't the exhaust would be held shut by air pressure during the fault?

Wouldn't it be quite probable to suffer injury if your jaw muscles holding the reg are stronger than your lung tissues?

The weakest link will give first

Wouldn't the exhaust would be held shut by air pressure during the fault?

The exhaust valve on a second stage is a floppy piece of rubber facing the outside.

Air pressure can only open it, not hold it closed.

flots.

Oops! You are definitely right, apologies. That little flap makes it impossible for pressure inside the 2nd stage/mouthpiece to exceed ambient. Thanks

I believe this is also something that should be taught in your OW.

Is it not anymore? :confused:

Worst case scenario you can remove your rig, shut off the bottle and remove the 1st stage. By cracking the valve open you can bottle breath on your way up to the surface.

Just curious, have you tried/performed this?

Just curious, have you tried/performed this?[/QUOTE]

I have,it is quite simple.When I was trained almost 40 years ago this was taught in the Basic O/W course.It was practiced in the pool we also had to breath off the tank with no mask and go from tank to tank to tank in the 4 corners of the pool.We also did this during the advanced course under actual open water conditions.

Is it not anymore? :confused:

Just curious, have you tried/performed this?

Yep, it's easy. Just a little "different" to learn to crack the valve and breath from it, but not hard. Taught in my OW class (I'm starting to think certain people got ripped off when they paid for their OW card with zero training behind it).

Yep, it's easy. Just a little "different" to learn to crack the valve and breath from it, but not hard. Taught in my OW class (I'm starting to think certain people got ripped off when they paid for their OW card with zero training behind it).
If I recall correctly, there was a recent thread where some one got spanked for vigorously advocating this practice. I think the reason was that this is not part of any current teachings. And hence deemed dangerous.

If i was not so lazy I would do the search for that thread and we would all know the real truth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom