Possible death on the oriskany Nov 14, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the first thing that comes to mind is usually what happened (Occam's Razor...simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation) given the report of 4 knot currents and a rebreather I'd guess overbreathing the unit.

It could be anything of course. Sorry to hear about any diving related accident.

you said he was on a rebreather, what about his CO2 scrubber being old or damaged and causing hypoxia then unconsciousness? and things snowballing from there. no matter the cause this is sad to hear and prayers go out to friends and family

Just as a point of clarification, excess CO2 leads to hypercapnia....
Hypoxia is not enough O2...
Hyperoxia is too much O2...

On a mooring, anything over a knot is undivable....
Drifting and hot dropping into 2.2 is the worst I've done, and when we left the wreck and blew bags, we were in for quite a ride....

Drifting and hot dropping into 2.2 is the worst I've done, and when we left the wreck and blew bags, we were in for quite a ride....

Been there, done that. Did a hot drop onto the Hydro Atlantic (about 160' if I recall), and we all made it to the wreck, but just. Did the drifting deco and surfaced almost 2 miles from the wreck. If was easy and fun, which the current can be if you are riding it and not fighting it. But the difference between the two is night and day - one a relaxing, lazy ride, the other a potentially dangerous fight.

I have always been a bit perplexed as to why such dives are not started from the get-go as a drift dive with the DM's initial splash report providing the information neccessary for the team/operation to make the call....

I have always been a bit perplexed as to why such dives are not started from the get-go as a drift dive with the DM's initial splash report providing the information neccessary for the team/operation to make the call....

Any operation pulling up to such a stiff current, and not being frank about the divability, and providing an alternate site at the get go, is not worthy of a second visit...

Recently wasted most of a morning trip w/ Slate's in the Keys trying to get on the Duane... I won't be back...

Any operation pulling up to such a stiff current, and not being frank about the divability, and providing an alternate site at the get go, is not worthy of a second visit...

Recently wasted most of a morning trip w/ Slate's in the Keys trying to get on the Duane... I won't be back...

All good points. With a strong current such dives start out with a very high cost/effort-benefit ratio regardless of style used...

I presume the deceased diver was swimming rather than using a DPV?

None of the divers I observed (rebreathers or otherwise) were using a dpv.

One of the rescuers posted on another board that they noticed the diver unresponsive at depth. He did not respond to their attempts to insert his bailout reg, and his unit seemed to be in working order. The consensus on their boat was that it was a cardiac event. One of the rescuers (it was a three-man dive team) was apparently an M.D.

Where is the other board with postings?

Back
Top Bottom