Possible death on the oriskany Nov 14, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While the facts may be essentially correct, they are delivered in a way that is so incomplete and so out of context that no one hearing them has any idea of the true story. While noting reported was incorrect, it was still poor reporting.

To take it one step further ...man died. end of story

Anyone see the WEAR 3 News story last night and this morning concerning the accident? I'm not sure they could have screwed up the facts any more if they had tried. It was very poorly done. Maybe I'm just grumpy after all of this this weekend though. You be the judge.

WEAR ABC 3 :: Top Stories

For those of you that don't want to put up with the video:

PENSACOLA, FL - A 43 year-old man is dead, after drowning in the Gulf Of Mexico.

The U-S Coast Guard In Mobile received a call about a swimmer in distress, around noon yesterday.

A man dove off of a charter fishing boat, attempting to swim to the Oriskany... 20 miles off the coast of Pensacola.

The Coast Guard says when the man came to the surface, the crew from the boat performed C-P-R on him.

Emergency crews took the man to Baptist Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The victim's name has not been released.

The press can only go by what others tell them, which in this case is a PIO from the Coast Guard. Part of the problem is that none of us (divers I mean) will talk to the press. No one wants to be responsible for painting the sport in a light that is negative. Dive operators understandably don't want to discuss it, because it could be bad for business, and, in the case of the boat operator, could affect their insurance coverage and liability (though realistically the boat in question went above and beyond, as did the guys who brought him up). Additionally, no thoughtful person would want to say anything to the press that could damage the family of the victim, so where does that leave us, the diving public?

I don't know.

My biggest concern at the moment is what the rescuers must be going through.

That particular account certainly reads like some nut job just lept off a fishing boat and tried to swim down to a wreck all by himself with no gear.

Well, I certainly don't want anyone to think I was trying to divert attention from what is most important here. I am well aware of the essentials and what really isn't worth worrying about under the circumstances. I just wanted to share the story yet not support its quality.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the way the group of boats out there worked together to get the right personell on the Down Under to help with the situation if needed was fantastic. I have been continually impressed by how the majority of dive community members are quick to support one another when required and even when not required. It makes you feel good to be a part of it.

The news account of the accident is completely incorrect. I was on the Down Under the day of the accident and witnessed the attempted rescue of the diver.

I had just finished my dive and was on board removing my gear when we heard a diver calling for help. The boat crew immediately located the distressed divers (3) and began getting them into the boat. The injured diver was non responsive upon reaching the boat and the crew immediately began to assess his condition and began performing CPR and administering oxygen.

The accounts provided by GeorgiaWrecker and the Moderator are accurate to the events of the day, with the exception of the amount of time CPR was administered. The crew and divers of the Down Under did everything humanly possible to assist the injured diver. We received extra oxygen from another dive boat for the trip to port. The Down Under crew performed CPR non-stop on the victim from the time he hit the boat until we reached the Coast Guard port in Pensacola. The local EMS took over and then the victim was transported via Life Flight to an area hospital where he was pronounced.

This was my first deep dive (greater than 60 ft) and strong current dive and conditions were not optimal that day. I am very proud of the crew of the Down Under and all the other divers that assisted in this rescue.

We are all shocked at the outcome of the day and the grieving process is taking its toll. Although the diver was a complete stranger to me, he was still in the dive family and it hurts my heart to have lost a fellow diver.

I have told others that this was the best and worst day of my dive life...My first "O" dive was awesome, but it had a bitter sweet ending. I will never forget this day and this fallen diver will remain in my memories forever.

i was out there Friday we was the second boat a private one was already there are dive master reported the current as 1 knot it did increase a little on are second dive

Last edited:
We were the small private boat that was first on the site that morning and moored directly in front of the Down Under. The distressed diver and those assiting him surfaced just to the port side of our boat before the current took them back closer to the Down Under. We transferred the Dive master aboard our boat to the Down Under to assist prior to leaving the site. He remained on board the Down Under until it reached port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom