Votes: 35 29.2%
  • Make it something else.

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Who cares what we are called?

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have gotten chewed out by one shop and strongly encouraged by two others to change the name of the Florida Conch Divers to Florida Divers. They feel excluded since conchs really represent diving in the Keys and appear to exclude the rest of Central and South Florida.

What do you think?

since you asked what we thought....

seems like to me that the whine/squeal of a few shops is over bearing the board/forum.

Sounds to me like they feel like they are having to complete with shops in the keys.

I'd say that half the people who are in this forum don't live in the keys. (or most is more like it). The only reason there are more keys threads is that lots more people travel to the keys to dive and use dive shops there than they do some whiny dive shop in Orlando....

changing the name of the forum won't change the content..... even if these LDS's think it will.

just my 2psi worth.

I like South Florida Divers. It cover 99% of the area I am likely to dive in. If I want info about another area I will ask in their respective forum. There's enough crap to sift through in this forum as it is. I can only imagine what it would be like if it was the only Florda forum.

I understand the only change will be "Florida Conch Divers" to "Florida Divers". The "sub areas" will remain the same, correct?

Conchs are people BORN AND RAISED in the keys, not occasional visitors. Fresh Water Conchs are people who LIVED THERE LONG ENOUGH to be almost indistinguishable from Buba over there.

Florida Divers seems to better include the whole state of Florida rather than the southernmost area (the Keys). Those of us that know Florida Conch Divers is not related just to the Keys aren't confused, but I can see where others might be. I really don't care what you call us (to a certain degree....hehe), it's all good to me.

Again,

while the shops are free to vote as they see fit, this decision will be made by ALL of us. Believe it or not, I want the very BEST for all parts of ScubaBoard. I won't let the tail wag the dog. But I am not going to dismiss concerns because they represent the tail either.

Every local forum has a catchy name. Why should Florida be the only "plain jane"? Although any name would be fine (except "Gators" :biggrin:), Conchs like Kelp are unique. I'm from North FL and participate in the Conch Forum (even though I'm mis-located in Kelp country).

If the shops wish to change the nature/focus of the Florida forum, then their frequent input/feedback/participation is what will do it, not just a name change. And that participation should be genuine, not just something that sounds like a sales pitch every single post. There are plenty of shop affiliated posters who provide genuine info/support/assistance, not just sales trolling.

Just my home-sick Floridian 2psi...

Conchs are people BORN AND RAISED in the keys, not occasional visitors. Fresh Water Conchs are people who LIVED THERE LONG ENOUGH to be almost indistinguishable from Buba over there.

Being a third generation native Floridian Thal's comments are spot-on IMO and lends further weight to a name change...

I see the validity of making it just Florida Divers. Simple and to the point.

That said, I think I can speak for many that we have a personal, emotional attachment to Conch Divers solely from a long, and usually affectionate history with the board--a personal pride in being a "Florida Conch Diver."

We have Texas Swamp Divers, Hawaii O'hana, California Kelp Divers, Alaska Polar Bears, Pacific Northwest Orca Bait, Rocky Mountain Oysters....etc. They all have certain connotations, but I imagine they inspire a sense of fun and belonging in a way that just "Texas Divers" or "Hawaii Divers" might not.

Florida is just a state. "Florida Conchs" are a club; a group of like individuals who hold pride in their affiliation.

But, that's just one person's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom