post dive ogb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNorth:
Are our friends the lobsters showing up yet?

I was in the water today at Plum Cove. Saw one lobster.

I saw a DEP officer afterward. He is trying to pass around the word that there's now a Red Tide problem in the area.

Michael

I think I know what you're talking about and I think maybe our definition of 'wall' differs. :wink: Regardless of what we call it, OGB is one of my favorite shore dives in the area.

keelhaul123:
I went out to OGB about two weeks ago and indeed there is a "wall" of sorts. Actually its more of a mini-wall...but its there. If my memory serves correct we were ona heading of about 60 degrees, and it is waaaaaaay out there. Since it was dead low tide when we arrived we probably did a hundred yard surface swim, then dropped down and the wall was myabe another 100 yards or so beyound. So yes, its there.

Soggy:
I think I know what you're talking about and I think maybe our definition of 'wall' differs. :wink: Regardless of what we call it, OGB is one of my favorite shore dives in the area.

So, what do you guys mean by a "wall." To me, a wall is sharp (pretty much straight down) drop-off, that goes down atleast 10 or 20'.

MASS-Diver:
So, what do you guys mean by a "wall." To me, a wall is sharp (pretty much straight down) drop-off, that goes down atleast 10 or 20'.
Your right actually. What I am referring to is almost more acurately referred to as a long, low pinnacle. It rises maybe 15' or so off the bottom but never breaks the surface. Nevertheless its an interesting structure.

On an unrelated topic....I read that a redtide has appeared off the coast and the shellfishing is banned as a result. So I did a little research on the bloom and have read that it affects bivalves only. From what I have read it is still safe to eat gilled animals (i.e. lobsters). Anyone know any different?

keelhaul123:
On an unrelated topic....I read that a redtide has appeared off the coast and the shellfishing is banned as a result. So I did a little research on the bloom and have read that it affects bivalves only. From what I have read it is still safe to eat gilled animals (i.e. lobsters). Anyone know any different?

From the MA Dept. of Public Health :
Only a few marine animal s accumulate these toxins. Shellfish, are particularly prone to contamination as they feed by filtering microscopic food out of the water. If toxic, planktonic organisms are present, they are filtered from the water along with other nontoxic foods.

Filter-feeding shellfish include quahogs, soft-shell clams, oysters, mussels and scallops. Since toxins are stored in the digestive tract (stomach) of these shellfish, scallops are safe to eat as long as only cleaned muscle meat (the only part generally eaten) is consumed. Whelks and moon snails can also accumulate dangerous levels of the toxin during red tide as they feed on contaminated shellfish.

Lobsters, crabs, shrimp and finfish do not accumulate toxin and are safe to eat from affected waters.

No scallops or bugs?! Good gravy! I was scared for a second. Deep breaths...deep breaths.... :)

Uh Oh. We got 3 full bags on Friday afternoon and they tasted great. Got them in Salem Sound. Does anyone think the redtide has affected this are?

MadisonK:
Uh Oh. We got 3 full bags on Friday afternoon and they tasted great. Got them in Salem Sound. Does anyone think the redtide has affected this are?

I'll post it again :)

"scallops are safe to eat as long as only cleaned muscle meat (the only part generally eaten) is consumed". You are safe. Just eat the muscle.

The affected area is from Maine all the way to the Cape Cod Canal so everywhere "we" go is affected.

decapoddiver:
I'll post it again :)

"scallops are safe to eat as long as only cleaned muscle meat (the only part generally eaten) is consumed". You are safe. Just eat the muscle.

The affected area is from Maine all the way to the Cape Cod Canal so everywhere "we" go is affected.

I gave some to some freinds who stir fry up the "other" parts and eat them. I know they ate them and haven't seemed to have had any reaction. What is red tide? Isn't it from rain runoff and if so do you think it could honestly affect areas that are several miles from shore or is this just a precaution. Also, on the news the other night they had a segment on this and listed the shellfish that are affected and scallops were not one of the four oddly enough.

MadisonK:
I gave some to some freinds who stir fry up the "other" parts and eat them. I know they ate them and haven't seemed to have had any reaction. What is red tide? Isn't it from rain runoff and if so do you think it could honestly affect areas that are several miles from shore or is this just a precaution. Also, on the news the other night they had a segment on this and listed the shellfish that are affected and scallops were not one of the four oddly enough.

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/redtide.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom